Keep Settings from Helena in Julia install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kgully

Keep Settings from Helena in Julia install

Post by kgully »

Hi all,

I am planning on upgrading from mint 8 "Helena" to mint 10 once it comes out. However, I have the appearance and behavior of my computer just how I like it on Helena, and was wondering if there was an easy way to keep all of those settings. I have a seperate /home partition, so I was thinking I could just tell the installer to use that partition as home? Are there any problems I would run into doing that (besides having to install a whole bunch of programs right off the bat)? Is there any way I could test it out in the live cd session (mounting the home partition and editing some magical files?)

Thanks for the help!
Kevin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unexistance

Re: Keep Settings from Helena in Julia install

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Nothing magical I can assure you that :D

Anyway, a good thing you have /home separated from /, so when you upgrade, by right it would be no problem.
Just remember NOT to format /home in mint10 installer (wait for the final release first)

But to be careful, you backup the settings in your /home.

Do this:
- Open your home directory
- press <Ctrl>+<h> it'll show hidden files
- select all the hidden files (the name starts with dot .)
- compress it and keep it somewhere safe

Regards,
Elisa

Re: Keep Settings from Helena in Julia install

Post by Elisa »

unexistance wrote:...Anyway, a good thing you have /home separated from /, so when you upgrade, by right it would be no problem...
Can you say more about " /home separated from /", pls?
As far as I remember :D when installing Mint 9 I just set / and swap. So should I separately set /home in the partitioning step installation?
But where ? Can I set the /home to the same sda... or other disc (primary partition of the same physical disc)?
Thanx.

Return to “Installation & Boot”