Reconverted to Mint!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlr1701

Reconverted to Mint!

Post by jlr1701 »

Hey everybody,

I've been using Mint since Gloria came out. Left the Mint fold to experiment with Arch Linux. I like Arch. It's fun... frustrating... fun to play with and learn, but in the end I was spending way too much time on the system and not enough time playing... um, working... um... playing. Yeah. :)

I have LM9 installed on my netbook and it works great there, but I was disappointed with it on my main system since my sound was only supported in stereo. I installed LM10 RC a couple of days ago and haven't booted back into Arch or Windows 7 since. The sound works great, as does everything else so far! Whoo-hoo!! :D

True, Linux Mint is just an OS, but I think it has potential as a religion too. Glory! :lol:

Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Reconverted to Mint!

Post by DrHu »

I also don't like the continuous eperiment mode, so I don't distro jump that much
--and I certainly don't keep going after the latest versions of applications, unless it feeds an itch I have to scratch, such as security updates or fixes some graphics problems and so on, but never just to have the latest versio runnig on the OS

I am quite happy to wait on the repository for updates..
--except for security
deleted

Post by deleted »

VMware and VirtualBox help satisfy my distro-hopper bent.
One of the reasons I came to Mint is that it's a "second pair of eyes" on Ubuntu, which is a "second pair of eyes" on Debian.
That being said, when there is a LMDE for 64 bit, I will gladly graduate to that.
-Hinto
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome back Jeff. Mint 10 is indeed very cool. Missed your posts.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

Thanks for the welcome back! :D

LMDE looks good in Virtualbox, but I can't install it on my main system because my network card is not supported. I understand it's a kernel issue, and I'm not sure how to solve that. But, I will look at it again when a 64-bit version is released. :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

jlr1701 wrote:Thanks for the welcome back! :D

LMDE looks good in Virtualbox, but I can't install it on my main system because my network card is not supported. I understand it's a kernel issue, and I'm not sure how to solve that.
If all else fails you can try the Liquorix Kernel. The computertemp applet wouldn't work for me with the stock LMDE kernel, but works after installing Liquorix.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jesica

Post by jesica »

I also think I am giong to stick with Mint 9 for a while
Maybe if LMDE LTS comes out one day, I will switch
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

tdockery97 wrote:
jlr1701 wrote:Thanks for the welcome back! :D

LMDE looks good in Virtualbox, but I can't install it on my main system because my network card is not supported. I understand it's a kernel issue, and I'm not sure how to solve that.
If all else fails you can try the Liquorix Kernel. The computertemp applet wouldn't work for me with the stock LMDE kernel, but works after installing Liquorix.
Well, the problem with that is sort of a Catch-22 situation. The Liquorix kernel might solve my network card support issue, but I don't have Internet access in LMDE, so I don't have any way to download the Liquorix kernel so I can install it. I've looked at the Liquorix site and don't see any way to download the kernel install files (from another OS such as LM 10) so I could do the job offline in LMDE. Any suggestions? :?:

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to “Introduce Yourself”