[SOLVED] Can't add freebsd to grub menu

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wakajawaqa

[SOLVED] Can't add freebsd to grub menu

Post by wakajawaqa »

Hi, I just installed Mint 10 on my laptop. I currently have Arch, FreeBSD and Mint installed.

I appended this entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Code: Select all

menuentry "FreeBSD" {
    set root=(hd0,1,a)
    chainloader +1
But the only menu entries I have are Arch and Mint. The same edit to this file worked in Mint 9 and Lubuntu. Can someone please tell me why I can't boot BSD?

FreeBSD is located on the first partition and, of course, I ran update-grub when I was finished.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
summer of 69

Re: Can't add freebsd to grub menu

Post by summer of 69 »

Open a terminal and cd to /etc/grub.d.
Then post the outcome of "ls -l" because I would like to check something :wink:
vincent

Post by vincent »

Your entry should look something akin to the following:

menuentry "FreeBSD" {
insmod ufs2
set root=(hd#,#)
chainloader +1
}
Where the #'s correspond to the hard drive and partition where FreeBSD resides. If FreeBSD resides on sda1, the entry would state (hd0,1). If it was on sda7, then it'd be (hd0,7). I've never seen notation in the form of (hd0,1,a), actually.

Don't forget to run

sudo update-grub
after you're done tweaking your menu entry.

Just to make sure...you installed Mint's Grub2 into your MBR during the installation, right?
summer of 69

Post by summer of 69 »

I also believe that's the right entry for BSD but my intention was to disable 40_custom and enable the other scripts in /etc//grub.d and run "sudo update-grub"
Then copy and paste the correct entry from /boot/grub/grub.cfg to 40_custom; disable the other scripts and enable 40_custom again followed by "sudo update-grub" :wink:
wakajawaqa

Post by wakajawaqa »

I added the insmod ufs2 line and removed the 'a.' It's working now, thanks. I'm still not sure why it worked before, because I hadn't included it up til now.

The 'a,' by the way, should reference the first file system within a slice on FreeBSD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”