Mint 10 RC pretends not to mount partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
COlsen

Mint 10 RC pretends not to mount partition

Post by COlsen »

I just installed the Mint 10 RC 64-bit. This is not a dual-boot, Mint 10 has the entire disk.

I've set a partition for root, one for swap and one for /data, which is where I store all my stuff.

When I boot, I get this message:

The disk drive for /data is not ready yet or not present.
Continue to wait, Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery.

I press S to skip. Then I log in, and /data is mounted and available. Seems to be working fine.

Is this a problem I need to worry about? Currently, it just seems to be slowing the boot process.

Thanks,

Charles
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pongo

Re: Mint 10 RC pretends not to mount partition

Post by pongo »

Could we see what's in your /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab please?

Did you create a separate /home partition at install time? The normal practice in UNIX-like OS's is to store all user data in /home/<username> and deviations from this are likely to cause problems unless you know *exactly* what you're doing.

If you didn't make a separate /home, one was created for you under /. Nothing wrong with this in principle, but it makes upgrading a bit harder.

On my Mint-10 RC installation I have a separate data partition called /stor and also mount the root partitions of two other linuxes (to be able to compare things in /etc) without any difficulty: they're auto-mounted silently. I don't try to use them in lieu of /home though, which you imply that you are doing.
StanTheMan

Re: Mint 10 RC pretends not to mount partition

Post by StanTheMan »

I have two data paritins. And I am multi-booting several Linux distros.
One data partition is mounted on ' /home . and the other is mounted on ' /media/sda9 '
I set these up when I install a distro and at the partition selection table , on the second one I manually type in the mount point ( /media/sda9 ) . You can spell this mount point any way you like , and the installer will create a directory exactly the way you spell it.
The Mint installer by default makes this data partition mount point with permissions for Group=plugdev and by default makes the sudo User a member of the group ' plugdev '. This allows the suo User to read and write to that data parttion. If you add a second User , then if you want that User too read and write to the second data pafrtitiion you must make that User a member of the group ' plugdev '.

When operating , if you want to sve a file there , you specify the mount directory on the file tree list.
My data partition happens to be formatted exgt4. This means that an odd distro suc h as LM Gloria ( with ext3 ) cannot read it because it was not built with ext4 capability

Return to “Installation & Boot”