User and Root password apparently different.(SOLVED..ish)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NexusHumanis

User and Root password apparently different.(SOLVED..ish)

Post by NexusHumanis »

I just installed Julia on my laptop, and everything seemed fine. Then I tried opening the Backup tool to restore my software collection, but it refused to acknowledge my password. In fact, none of the applications that need root access work. Login, however, works fine with the password I set during installation.
What could be wrong here, and is there a way to fix it_

EDIT. I have looked into my permissions and groups, and it appears my user has somehow been left out of the sudoers group. That does pose a problem, as I am the only user there is... I tried restarting in recovery mode, but Grub menu never appears, jumping straight to splash...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: User and Root password apparently different.

Post by dawgdoc »

Press the AnyKey before it gets to the splash screen, that should make the grub menu visible. It would in Isadora, this skipping Grub occurs on systems with only one OS option.
NexusHumanis

Post by NexusHumanis »

I have been messing around for a while now, and found the way to show grub. I have tried all the fixes the net could provide so far, but none of them worked. I reinstalled, but even that didn't help. The sudoers file looked just the way it's supposed.
I have started an X-session while logged in as root, and tried opening the user-admin tool. It repeatedly freezes as soon at it opens.
Is there anything left i haven't tried?

EDIT: Ok, while logged in as root in an X-session, as I said, I opened the terminal and ran apt-get update apt-get upgrade. All packages are downloaded and installed fine, and I reboot the system. Now, logged in as user, I find that sudo works fine. What has been going on here?

I must add as additional info that the cd used for the install is the same one as I used when installing Julia on my desktop last week. That install had no such problems.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I'm running LMDE and my sudoers file only contained 3 real lines

Code: Select all

Defaults	env_reset
root	ALL=(ALL) ALL
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
Until reading your post I never looked at editing this file. I do not know why a reinstall would have ended up the same if you overwrote the previous install, unless this is correct for your install. I see from THIS post it is possible to intentionally make your root password different from your user password. Also in that post, I notice his default sudoers is different than mine, I guess he must be using Isadora.

The file had a commented line saying to use visudo to edit it, I then checked synaptic and thought I learned that I do not have such an editor. Then reading the man pages for sudo and visudo I found that it is actually calling nano, which I do have.

OK, I see you have fixed the issue while I was trying to educate myself.
NexusHumanis

Post by NexusHumanis »

dawgdoc wrote:I'm running LMDE and my sudoers file only contained 3 real lines

Code: Select all

Defaults	env_reset
root	ALL=(ALL) ALL
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
Until reading your post I never looked at editing this file. I do not know why a reinstall would have ended up the same if you overwrote the previous install, unless this is correct for your install. I see from THIS post it is possible to intentionally make your root password different from your user password. Also in that post, I notice his default sudoers is different than mine, I guess he must be using Isadora.

>> Your 3 real lines are the same as mine. It seems nevertheless that the problem was one of permissions rather than passwords. Something wrong with the cd? I suppose I could check for damage tonight.

The file had a commented line saying to use visudo to edit it, I then checked synaptic and thought I learned that I do not have such an editor. Then reading the man pages for sudo and visudo I found that it is actually calling nano, which I do have.

Yes, I used nano to look at the file, but there was really nothing there that seemed out of place.

OK, I see you have fixed the issue while I was trying to educate myself.
>> Educating oneself is a good thing, and a great part of why linux is fun and stimulating.(Not because it NEEDS much fixing, but because it CAN be fixed, nearly regardless how screwed up your system has become. Unlike other OS's I can think of, where most problems are handled by turning one's computer over to a repair shop, who really only reaches for the install discs anyway)

This time however, i feel somewhat uneducated in the end, since I still don't know what actually went wrong. All I know is that upgrading the system fixed it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”