Can anyone identify this object ???

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Can anyone identify this object ???

Post by scorp123 »

Can anyone please take a look at the photos posted on a friend's blog and tell us what that thing is and what it is called and what on God's beautiful Earth it is used for??

http://misding.blogspot.com/2007/08/mys ... opper.html

The center metal grids you see are solid, e.g. they cannot be further collapsed or expanded. The photos show pretty much everything that can be done with this thing. So we're sure it's not used for producing Italian gnocchis or any other pasta, you can't cut eggs with it .... heck, we're not even sure that this thing is something you'd find in a kitchen. :?

We have no clue what that thing is. :oops: Anyone got any plausible theory? :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

"Greetings, stay a while and listen" - decard cain

It it a magic tool to put the ridges in peanut butter cookies.

btw:
http://deckard.ytmnd.com/
has a cool decard cain rap...
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

When I saw this thing the first thing that came to mind were the fruit hullers I used to work with when I used to be the dessert chef in a restaurant. You can see a more modern version here:

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=KK7230

It's basically a tool that slices fruit into multiple slices at once.

That's the closest I can come to figuring out what this thing is.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

red-e-made wrote:It's basically a tool that slices fruit into multiple slices at once.
Nope, there are no blades on this thing. The central metal "basket" is not made for cutting anything, it looks more like it was made for holding something .... but what?

One theory I was given was that it must be some part of a fryer or something, e.g. you'd put whatever you want to deep-fry (spring rolls??) into that metal basket and then put this thing into a special fryer ....

I thought that this was a good theory until my friend brought this thing into the office and I was able to hold it in my hands. The entire thing isn't really that big, and the metal basket is far too small to hold anything the size of a Chinese spring roll ... It might still be something that's used for a deep-frying something, it just would have to be way smaller than the usual Chinese spring roll ...
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

scorp123 wrote:It might still be something that's used for a deep-frying something, it just would have to be way smaller than the usual Chinese spring roll ...
Strudels?

I don't know. I'm stumped. :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

red-e-made wrote: Strudels? I don't know. I'm stumped. :)
Yeah, I thought of strudels .... but these have to be really small strudels then, about the size of a cigarette box. That's about the size of that metal basket in the center of the object.

One guy around our office claimed it's a pre-WW1 era "sex toy" because his girlfriend has such objects too in her drawers ... We were like: "Oh, fine .... AND HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU USE THIS THEN ????" :lol:

For some mysterious reason the color in his face turned from pink to snow-white and then to a fiery-red. And he refused to comment any further or to elaborate a bit more on his claim and whatever objects his girlfriend is collecting ...

I just hope he was making a stupid joke, because if this thing is what he claimed then I am really deeply confused young man now :lol: :lol: :lol:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Small fried pastry makings, small fritters maybe
(as I am not sure about my english translation here is in French what I want to say: des petites pâtisseries frites, des petits beignets)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

linuxviolin wrote:des petites pâtisseries frites, des petits beignets
Possible, I've seen stuff like that in Western Switzerland (French speaking area) and in France proper. I can imagine that it's used for something like that.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

could it be along the lines of a press?

like a garlic press or something? that's kind of what it resembles when I looked at it.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

bigbearomaha wrote:could it be along the lines of a press?
Nope, that central metal cage cannot be further collapsed or expanded.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I wonder if it "locks" in the closed position? Perhaps there is a piece missing such as a cutting blade. It could be used to hold something while a blade is inserted, maybe a knife.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

porcorosso wrote:It's a zach! (TV trivia reference)
Huh? :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

porcorosso wrote: It's funny to Americans
Too bad my "Location:" info says that I am from Switzerland which happens to be in Europe. Chances are I don't know about too old or too new American TV shows.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

porcorosso wrote:Sorry. It's funny to Americans who don't know what "zach" means. It's from an old Dick van Dyke show.

I'll shut up now.

:oops:
Either you watch a lot of Nick At Nite, or you're as old as my dad. :D
burdicda
Level 1
Level 1

My guess

Post by burdicda »

I agree it doesn't cut anything
the spacings are too narrow for cutting anything
like others said....best guess would be a fryer holder
or to hold something while it's boiling....

burdicda
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

best guess would be a fryer holder
or to hold something while it's boiling....
That's a possibility, but I would think the metal part of the handle would be a little longer to keep the wood (and hand) away from the fryer/boiler.

Hey Porcorosso, maybe it has something to do with cracking walnuts. :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

kenetics wrote: Hey Porcorosso, maybe it has something to do with cracking walnuts. :lol:
Unlikely ... that central metal basket cannot be collapsed any further. Whatever it was made for, cutting something or cracking nuts are not amongst the intended functions.

The suggestion about it holding something was probably the best so far. But I also agree with the argument about the stick being a bit too short and too small ... if you put this thing into a fryer (even a specially designed-for-this-strange-thing one) you'd probably get your hands burned.

Is there any chance that this is some sort of .... I dunno ... 'tool' of any sorts? As there are no blades on it it's probably safe to say that this thing isn't something a carpenter would use. You can't cut wood with it.

Maybe this is some weird sort of paint brush of some kind or something a painter would use??? (maybe there are parts missing) ...

We're thankful for any idea what this thing might be.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

@scorp, I was referring to another - very funny - episode of the Dick Van Dyke show titled "It may look like a walnut!". It was a parody of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", in which the alien pods looked like walnuts. They took over people bodies and left them emotionless and without thumbs (the theory being without opposable thumbs, humans would be helpless).

I was wondering if porcorosso would remember the episode and he did!

See how much you miss out on without American TV? :lol: My god, this stuff is from the 60's and I remember it. :shock:
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

A NetHack 'scroll of identify' would be really useful for this situation. Blessed or at least uncursed.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

It's so obvious!
The crackerjack who invented the gadget was a nut. :) So, this is definitely a nut cracker; used mostly in the nut house, where these people end up after their crackup.

Return to “Open Chat”