Mint 10 RC Installer Freezes in Slideshow (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
b5bartender

Mint 10 RC Installer Freezes in Slideshow (Solved)

Post by b5bartender »

Help!
Mint 10 RC, 64-bit: Every time i've tried to install from the LiveCD, the installer freezes at what appears to be random times during the install slideshow...complete screen freeze, mouse cursor stops, disk activity grinds to a halt...quite frustrating.

Specs:
MSI MS-6741 Mobo
Athlon 64 2800+
Nvidia 7600GS
Maxtor 120GB Sata I

I had the exact same problem when installing Ubuntu 10.10 x86, so I'm thinking its some kind of glitch in the new installer. I was able to complete the Ubuntu 10.10 installation on the same machine using the "Alternate Install" CD, but with Mint 10 not having a console-mode install option, i'm pretty much dead in the water here... any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Mint 10 RC Installer Freezes in Slideshow

Post by oobetimer »

b5bartender wrote:Help!
Mint 10 RC, 64-bit: Every time i've tried to install from the LiveCD, the installer freezes at what appears to be random times during the install slideshow...complete screen freeze, mouse cursor stops, disk activity grinds to a halt...quite frustrating.

Specs:
MSI MS-6741 Mobo
Athlon 64 2800+
Nvidia 7600GS
Maxtor 120GB Sata I

I had the exact same problem when installing Ubuntu 10.10 x86, so I'm thinking its some kind of glitch in the new installer. I was able to complete the Ubuntu 10.10 installation on the same machine using the "Alternate Install" CD, but with Mint 10 not having a console-mode install option, i'm pretty much dead in the water here... any suggestions?
I have not tested this, but what about if you go to the different virtual console during the installation, pressing Ctrl Alt F1 , and come back about 1/2 hour later pressing Alt F7 . The idea is that xorg does not strain so much.
b5bartender

Re: Mint 10 RC Installer Freezes in Slideshow

Post by b5bartender »

oobetimer wrote: go to the different virtual console during the installation
Good Idea, that let the installation complete for me. Many thanks! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”