Unable to install Linux Mint 10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sovereign6

Unable to install Linux Mint 10

Post by Sovereign6 »

I'm completely new to Linux and after reading about it, I thought I should at least try Mint 10.
This is my 4th attempt at this, with only one successful attempt making me reformat my entire drive just to get mint to install.

So here's the problem (bear with me, I'm new) while installing, it gets all the way to "Ready when you are" and just stops. The forward button on "Who are you?" is still greyed out. Now the first 3 times I've done this, I did it with between a 100-50Gbs on it's partition. The 4th time I had to use the entire hard drive (750Gb's) for it to successfully install. So my Windows 7 Partition was gone.

I'm not using a disc, I'm booting from a USB drive if that makes a difference.

there's no errors or anything popping up. It's just sitting there.

I clicked back to the beginning, and not it's sitting on "getting the time from a network time server..." So I'm at a lose. The last times I just turned off the computer and booted back into the drive, let me with an empty partition that I couldn't delete. So I'd rather not have to deal with that (I'm sure you guys could explain it to me, I'm just hoping this is a simple fix)

If you need any more information just ask. I've run lsusb and lspci and I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. But as I said, it worked the one time when I told it to reformat the entire drive for itself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Unable to install Linux Mint 10

Post by Elisa »

Hi,
if u r new to Linux (as u mentioned :wink: ), wouldn't you like rather install Mint 9 ?
Because 10 is still alfa like not the finished yet... :wink:
As for multiboot I'd recommend this how-to (or other linked on that page):

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbo ... bystep.htm
Sovereign6

Post by Sovereign6 »

I was just linked to 10 (I believe :P) from a forum. Claiming it to be the most user friendly. A gate way into Linux really. So I just downloaded it. I suppose that wasn't the brightest idea, and since it's already done copying files and just needs my awesome power to click a greyed out button, I might as well go through with it.

and I just figured it out lol....

So apparently, your user name cannot be started with a capital letter... I feel like an ass. Is there a way I can close this thread. :[ I'm really sorry!
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Sovereign6 wrote:I was just linked to 10 (I believe :P) from a forum. Claiming it to be the most user friendly. A gate way into Linux really. So I just downloaded it. I suppose that wasn't the brightest idea, and since it's already done copying files and just needs my awesome power to click a greyed out button, I might as well go through with it.

and I just figured it out lol....

So apparently, your user name cannot be started with a capital letter... I feel like an ass. Is there a way I can close this thread. :[ I'm really sorry!
It's ok :lol:

Just wondering when u say u r a newbie and trying alfa of Mint 10 :wink:
Mint 10 will be finished soon, so if you'll install the current (stable) Mint 9, later when 10 will be on, you'll be able to upgrade it, like here is the info how to:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
ezas

Post by ezas »

Mint 10 is at Release Candidate (RC) status. A Release Candidate has all the features and is a last check for any show stopper bugs before the GA (General Availability) release.

The develoment life cycle goes like this:

Alpha (not alfa)
Beta (Mint uses a closed Beta)
RC
GA Release

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r ... life_cycle
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

And Mint's release candidates are usually as stable as other distro's final releases. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

Elisa wrote: Because 10 is still alfa like not the finished yet...
Actually Mint 10 is RC which means that for all intents and purposes it is a final release. The only thing needed to make it final is updates as bugs are fixed and the update released.

If you install Mint 10 RC you don't have to re-install once the final is released. Just install the updates as they come available..
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Ezas, don't be too smart :lol:
It doesn't matter if I say alfa, alpha or beta, gama, omega :lol:
The only thing I've wanted express that it's not final release :wink: due some bugs must be fixed yet.
alfavictory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfavictory »

Sovereign6 wrote: So apparently, your user name cannot be started with a capital letter... I feel like an ass.
@$#@ I feel the same thing!!!

But, thank you so much about it!!! I experience the same problem with Capital letter in a login, now it's solved :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”