Back to Mint [in some way]

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knuckles

Back to Mint [in some way]

Post by knuckles »

Hi,
I'm Daniel, come from Luxemburg, so I will excuse myself, because my English is not good, as it is not my nativ language.
So about me and Linux Mint. I start using Mint since Mint Elyssa as main System, and replaced Mint with Windows7 (yes I know i was changing the side), but this had a background. Windows 7 is a really good OS, stable, fast, and the games run very well on it. At the release of windows 7, I had not a lot of time (work, change home...), and in my free-time, I would relax with some game that I like (Dragon Age in genral)... so I lost in some way the contact with Mint, but had it ever installed in a VM, so I kept an eye on it. (perhaps some here in the community didn't forget me)

Now that I have more time, and the W7 hype is over, my I interests in Linux and the opensource World in general, keep growing. I have decided to come back to Linux Mint. For the moment I start with a refresh of my knowings, so I use Linux Mint 10 the most possible but in a VM, perhaps I will install 10 as main System, or will learn more about it in the VM (or with mint4win) and with Mint11 do the change whit a full install.....

I will lost some words of my opinion about Linux Mint and the Situation that we have for the moment:

Ubuntu as base:
I think Ubuntu as base is a good choice, for now and the future. It is a debian based system, but with some Improvements that make the work with it a lot easier. Ubuntu is not for nothing the most popular Linux desktop suite. So why ignore the work already done from Canonical and there devs... and what will Linux Mint be? A Desktop, that is ready to work after the first start, with the most features possible! Whit an other base like Debian, that will not be the case.

Debian as base:
A good Idea to become more independent, perhaps a better choice for fans that are more deep in the Linux World than a ordinary User. It will have all the advantages that Debian has, but without a backport repository that is really up to date and secure it will be not very interest for the ordinary users. I keep in mind all the Friends of me, that are no Linux Fans, and will be able to use all the new features of new Versions.... what they can whit every dump Windows system, but with a Debian system they would need to wait and wait, and when a new Version is available, the version is already overrun.

As you see my Opinions, I'm not the user that keep on the old stuff, because it is "perhaps" more stable, less bugs (I know new version new features bring new bugs too).. but I'm more open for new stuff an new idea's. So I have no problems to use Beta versions, dev-Versions... but what is important, I do not claim if I brake my system (because I know, it was me that take the risk of using that stuff of software)

so I think that is enough to introduce myself.

@later
Daniel A.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Back to Mint [in some way]

Post by tdockery97 »

Hi Daniel, and welcome back to Mint. With Mint 10 just released, I think you'll be glad to be back.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
defcon

Post by defcon »

You are welcome ;-)
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome back Daniel,

I can understand what you are saying. I have LM9 Main and LMDE on my laptop. The Main edition and its derivatives are based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian unstable. Whereas LinuxMint - Debian Edition is based on Debian testing. I have found a few examples of applications in the Debian repositories not being quite as current as Ubuntu's.

Only one has had any significance to me and that is Openshot Video Editor; version 1.2.2 as opposed to version 1.1.3. Since in this case the newer version is definitely better, I use it in LM9. The author of Openshot does have a build wizard for Debian so I could, and will get in time, the latest version.

Where the application versions are the same or the differences are not significant to me, I use LMDE. It runs faster and lighter on my system. Where the application is definitely older in LMDE I always have the option to look for a .deb or compile from source. I have done this already for some applications in LMDE and there have been instances where I have done this in the Main Edition also.

You mentioned staying with the Ubuntu version for friends who are not tech savvy. I have installed the LM Main version for other people, namely LM7 and LM9. Since I will be their tech support, I will leave them at LM9 LTS, Isadora. And I will keep it on my laptop, even though I mostly use LMDE. I do not want to be reconfiguring systems for them every 6 months. If they absolutely must have a newer version, then it is time to learn to be a little self sufficient. I would not turn a cold shoulder, it is that it would then be time for them to begin learning to stand on their own feet. I think this is called "Tough Love" I put running programs/games in Wine and VM in this category. (Probably because I have not done this for myself - :lol: )

Not trying to pick a fight, just expressing my opinion and the reasoning that I use to support it.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Daniel,
Welcome back to Mint :P
Some things may have changed while you were away,there is a Community site now -> http://community.linuxmint.com/
The IRC Channels have been reorganised into #linuxmint-help,#linuxmint-chat,#linuxmint-debian and #pimpmymint - the first 2 are still automatically connected when you open MintMenu>Internet>XChat
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

@all
thanks for the welcome

@dawgdoc
you opinion is welcome and accepted :-)

@oscar799
In the meantime I didn't lost the contact completely to the community, so I was already knowing about the new community site (already registered and post my first idea)
but thanks for the informations
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

It is done :-)

Virtualbox >> Mint4Win >> Full-Install --> since my full-install I had started Windows only for Games.

Mint 10 is great, ok I have needed some modification like an other Theme (perhaps I'm the only but I hate the new Mint-X-(Metal) Themes), LibreOffice, Chromium, and some other app... but I'm happy now, and most of my Stuff works like a charm. My Printer/Scanner HP CM1312nfi (over LAN) works only for Printing but not for scanning, so If I need to scan something I must start Windows, but that happens 2times per year, so it is not important.
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”