Chromium Browser

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Wrinkly

Chromium Browser

Post by Wrinkly »

The latest Chromium browser (6.0.472.63) seems to be running extremely quickly on LMDE. Is it just my imagination or even wishful thinking?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gotjazz

Re: Chromium Browser

Post by gotjazz »

well chromium is pretty damn fast and so is lmde - so I guess it's not you :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I normally use Firefox/Iceweasel (upgraded to Firefox-4.0b6) ... but, with LinuxMintDebian (LMDE) on my AAO Netbook, I have been using Chromium-browser.

Trying to learn how this new browser works. Very fast. Configurable. A clean look. Not so many add-ons or extensions - yet.
So far, I have been more impressed with the new versions of Chromium-browser, than with the first/initial Chrome-browsers that Google had come up with.
wltdwiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wltdwiz »

i use chrome 80% of the time & firefox 20%
chrome still has some small problems flash crashes a lot & ebay dont like it
also if im downloading a iso file firefox works better chrome sometimes dont finish the file
& a few printing problems too
but i love the chrome browser Fast Fast & use it for most of my work :mrgreen:
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I agree with everything above. I use Chromium about 95% of the time just because it's so darn fast. If I run into something that Chromium doesn't handle well then I jump to Iceweasel. I will also jump to Iceweasel if I've got a big download to do as I really like DownThemAll download manager. However, I recently discovered and began using aria2 from CLI, and it work well, too, for large downloads.

I have one complaint and it's not specific to Chromium. It has to do with a Chromium extension that I use. I have used RSS Live Links for some time now, and about 3 weeks ago, it started giving me problems with 2 specific RSS links - SI Recent Stories and Fox News. All of my other RSS links work fine. I contacted the maintainer of the extension, and he didn't see any problems with my setup either. I even had the exact same problem in my LMDE boot and in my Debian boot. Weird, huh?

mikhou
rufong

Post by rufong »

i agree with postes above chromium is da BOM! been using it for quite some time.
only thing it canna do fer me is divx movies via gecko-mediaplayer[Sons of Anarchy episodes, veehd.com]
for that i use swiftfox:
Swiftfox is an optimized build of Mozilla Firefox. Swiftfox has builds for both AMD and Intel processors and is based on the most cutting edge Firefox source code available.

Help is available in the Swiftfox Forum. If you have questions or are having difficulty with any aspect of using Swiftfox please leave a post on the forum and I or one of the forum members will provide assistance.

There is now an installer available that is distro independent. It is a script that downloads and installs Swiftfox in the /opt directory and attempts to use existing Firefox plugins. The installer is probably the best way for most users to install Swiftfox. If your distro is Debian based you will want to install using the deb files as the apt repository will provide automatic updating. More info is available at the deb file page.

Existing Firefox plugins should work with no additional configuration if you use the installer or deb file. If you install using the tarball or your plugins are not working you will want to make sure plugins are located in the directory ~/.mozilla/plugins or swiftfox/plugins. If you need any help please visit the Swiftfox Forum.
and sharing the chromium love, my fave theme is BLACK CIRCUIT..
jesica

Post by jesica »

I used Opera, but I reckon I must give Chromium a go
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

dam, this is fast. 10.0.604.0 (68435) Built on Ubuntu 10.10, running on LinuxMint 10
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Another vote for Chrome on LMDE. It's updated to Google's 8.0 version (so a little behind Chromium) but it's very fast, and the Flash crashes seem to have gone away. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I've been using Chromium for a while I use it about 85% of the time. Opera 10% and Firefox 5%
Chromium is significantly faster in rendering most pages, However there are some pages that don't render well.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Scorpio_Snake

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

I have been using Chrome, and now Chromium that it is in the repos, and I love it. It has come a long way. Recent versions are very good. Flash problems are much better than they use to be. Chromium/Chrome is the fastest full featured browser I have used. If there is something Chromium has a problem with I fall back on Firefox, but Chromium is used most of the time.
d00med

Post by d00med »

What is the difference between Chromium and Chrome? Do all of the Chrome extensions, like adblock, work with Chromium?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

d00med wrote:What is the difference between Chromium and Chrome? Do all of the Chrome extensions, like adblock, work with Chromium?
Chromium is the base development browser. Google Chrome is made using Chromium as a base. Chrome extensions will generally work with Chromium.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vincent

Post by vincent »

d00med wrote:What is the difference between Chromium and Chrome? Do all of the Chrome extensions, like adblock, work with Chromium?
Here's an exhaustive list of differences: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ ... ogleChrome

The only thing that differs Chrome from Chromium is that the first is proprietary and the latter is open-sourced; that means that the proprietary Google Chrome version comes with a few proprietary features not found in Chromium, e.g. a bundled Flash player, Google's PDF plugin, non-free codecs by default, etc.

Return to “LMDE Archive”