Wikipedia

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wikipedia

Post by eiver »

Generally speaking Wikipedia is great, just remember that anyone can edit it, but I myself have never seen any form of vandalism or incorrect information (maybe I was lucky).
Wikipedia has a rule, that no original (or unverified) research should be put into it. Wikipedia only repeats what was told in other places, so you can always verify how credible the original source is.
As far as scientific work is concerned I was discouraged at my university to use Wikipedia as a source or a reference directly, when writing a report. The original source or reference should be used, instead of just saying that it comes from Wikipedia. But anyway its an absolutely great source of information and I use it constantly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nukm

Post by nukm »

antholory wrote:Is Wikipedia a reliable source for studying Macroeconomics and other branches of Economy? I'm in a college, and i find many things i learn from books very hard to understand. That said, i regularly endeavor to find other explanations online. I know there are numerous sites offering a myriad of information about economy, but none are well systematized as wikipedia.
Wikipedia would not be a suitable "academic" source. Your college should have a standardized guideline for the preparation of papers, with a section dealing with sources and proper citations. Since Macroeconomics is math intensive, you'll not get much from Wikipedia, which is a "popular" publicly edited site. The site is also edited by the "operator" according to his whims and fancies.

There is a body of academic literature pertaining to Macroeconomics (and Economics generally) which you will need to conquer if you are to be a professional economist. Naturally, a propensity to mendacity and obfuscation will be an increasingly valuable asset for the burgeoning Economist. Your faculty advisor can assist you with your questions. You should tell your faculty advisor that you cannot understand what you read. If English is not your first language, there are many classic Economic works in German, French, Russian and other languages. Doubtless, your course instructor has furnished a list of reading material which is expected to be assimilated.

There are certainly online repositories pertaining to Economics which might also provide academic works and papers, but Wikipedia is not an academic site. If your college allows Wikipedia as an academic course, and you are paying for your education with real money, you are being cheated.

Good luck!
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

nukm wrote:Naturally, a propensity to mendacity and obfuscation will be an increasingly valuable asset for the burgeoning Economist.
That was good. :)

Let us not forget the importance of prevarication and sophism. :lol:
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Fred

Post by Fred »

nukm & det4100,

Two of the best and truest posts I've seen lately. lol

+1 :-)

Fred
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

As mentioned, most universities will not accept wikipedia as a source. However, it is a great place to start your research. Use it as background information and they should also include a bibliography or links to their sources. It is a great first stop to get an overview of a subject and the popular consensus opinion on something. Just be aware that majority opinion does not make something right...or wrong... :wink:
mehmet7

Post by mehmet7 »

I would say some information on Wikipedia is just excellent. Nevertheless, a lot of professors tend to have a not so positive attitude towards Wikipedia as there -while editng and content standards are clearly rising- is not a single defined standard for the content. That would mean that i.e. for different subjects in history, economy etc.there might approaches differing a lot from each other. Nevertheless, I think Wikipedia is good to get a first glimpse on a subject you are not quite familiar with, afterwards it is more easy to get information from textbooks, other websites etc. I just would not recommend to cite it in research papers, homework etc.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Hmmmm. Looks like spam. Smells like spam. Well, what do you know? It IS spam!
Linux User #384279
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Member antholory"s post deleted and member banned. Reason - spam in signature line
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

One of my most "wikipedia friendly" professors told me, that if I really, really have to use Wikipedia as a direct source of information then I should at least provide a link to a particular version of an article. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =362026562

instead of just: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

One of the errors made by the academic community in dismissing Wikipedia as an unreliable source is that so called more scholarly publications such as Encyclopædia Britannica contain many biased opinions tending towards whatever is trendy in that same academic community. "If it agrees with what I think, then it is scholarly; all that other writing is just wrong-headed opinionated blather!"
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

waldo wrote:One of the errors made by the academic community in dismissing Wikipedia as an unreliable source
I think they are right. As great as it can be Wikipedia is not a fully trusted source. Yes, it's a good project and it can be place to start your research but there are also errors, inaccuracies and other things like that. We can also find articles hacked etc I think scholastic manuals and encyclopaedias are more trusted sources for students.
eiver wrote:I myself have never seen any form of vandalism or incorrect information (maybe I was lucky).
Yes, you were lucky. Personally, I saw several of them... Sorry, no, I won't seek them again for you. :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Wikipedia often references "scholarly" sources. In these cases it is still not considered credible. In fact, for a couple of assignments I've completed I was required to use news articles and other non-scholarly sources for research, but I could not use Wikipedia. Obviously news is credible...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

randomizer wrote:Obviously news is credible...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I think the reason behind the ban on Wikipedia is because students who use Wikipedia will realise where their subject content all comes from and become angry when they find out that they (or their parents) pay to be taught that which is freely available online.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

randomizer wrote:I think the reason behind the ban on Wikipedia is because students who use Wikipedia will realise where their subject content all comes from and become angry when they find out that they (or their parents) pay to be taught that which is freely available online.
Interesting point of view.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

aberlary wrote:What is so bad about Wikipedia, that teachers should prohibit students from using it for projects or reports?
The problem with Wikipedia is that there is no formal academic style peer review of the content. Anything written by anyone can be claimed as true. The counterclaim is that academics are often biased, and who knows if what they write is true.

Popular published encyclopedias always have the content reviewed by recognized relevant experts.

My wife is a teacher, and she does not allow Wikipedia as a source. However she does suggest it might be a good starting point to find appropriate sources.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

randomizer wrote:I think the reason behind the ban on Wikipedia is because students who use Wikipedia will realise where their subject content all comes from and become angry when they find out that they (or their parents) pay to be taught that which is freely available online.
A good education teaches you how to learn. It has little to do with the content that you have dabbled with during the education process.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Apart from wikipedia or wikileaks or other internet search locations, they all have the same deficiency
--they have no scientific basis, so can't be considered a rigorous source of data

If you need general data/information and measure it by how much sense it makes to you, then it is and can be a good resource: the internet, that is..
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Like any source of information, it is your own responsibility to check the references provided before you turn around and represent it as fact.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Like I already said, as great as it can be Wikipedia is not a fully trusted source. You can find wrong informations, errors, inaccuracies, even sometimes hacked articles etc It's may be a source, a starting point but NOT an absolute reliable source...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Open Chat”