[SOLVED] how to use webcam and usb on virtualbox on mint 10?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
irly

[SOLVED] how to use webcam and usb on virtualbox on mint 10?

Post by irly »

Hello!
I just downloaded the latest release of mint, I been using the standard version of mint 10. Now I have problem with regards to voice and video conversation, I decided to install on my virtual box a windows operating system (XP) and install it with yahoo msgr. Now I want to use my webcam and voice input when I make a call through yahoo, how can I make this work it is on my virtual box, it doesn't detect my webcam and voice input, same with my usb.

Note : all my contact are on yahoo. I cannot switch to skype.

detailed advice would be appreciated. thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sleven

Re: how to use webcam and usb on virtualbox on mint 10?

Post by Sleven »

This article helped me out greatly.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55100

Hope this helps
crzen

Post by crzen »

I dont Know if this will help or not. I just installed virtualbox a few days ago into LM9
and this is what I had to do. Virtualbox is not given user permissions by default.

Go to Menu- Administration - users and groups.
click on "manage groups". scroll down to "vboxusers", click it and then "Properties".
In the next window you should see a "Group members" box. inside that should be a checkbox befor your username .
Make sure that the box is checked. That gives virtualbox permission to activate the usb devices.

After that is done on the virtualbox status bar there is an icon for usb devices
if you right click on it you should now be able to turn them on in virtualbox.

## I just checked with my old IBM PC camera. I plugged it in and as soon as I did the step above
XP went to found new hardware and wanted the windows drivers.
This camera wont work in linux as far as I know but seems to in virtualbox. ##

WARNING dont activate the usb mouse :mrgreen: that wasnt one of my wisest moments :mrgreen:

like I said thats how I did it in LM9. LM10 might have the same issue.
Hope this helps
Last edited by crzen on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Might want to look at this and see if this will help you.......

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-761986.html
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
irly

Post by irly »

@CRZEN I already try your advice but seems there is no "vboxusers" that I have to check, I need a fully detailed guide lines with regards to making may USB fully functional on my virtual box, secondly letting my virtual detect some of my gadgets like USB webcam. in addition also how can I get some my files on my physical drives in order to use it on my virtual box, like for example my pictures.

thanks for sharing hope you can find a way to help me..
crzen

Post by crzen »

Sorry that didnt work for you. Were you running virtualbox ose at any time and did you do a clean install of mint 10 and which version? The reason Im asking is that from what I can tell virtualbox ose does not have usb support, but version 3.2.10 does. it can be gotten here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. when I installed it, it told me to manually use apt to completely remove all instances of ose or it would not install properly. Then I installed the virtualbox dkms from apt to go with it.

Edit... I almost forgot after you start the VM go to
"Devices - "Install Guest Additions".
That way you are sure to get the correct ones for the version you have.

That is how I did it for both Mint 9 Isadora x64 and Mint 9 debian x32
LMDE was more stubborn. I had to reboot to get the permissions to take effect.
and my printer wasnt availible until I shared a folder (dont know whats up whith that)

Image Image Image

When you get it working, If you goto the bottom of the VM window where the usb Icon is,

right click the shared folders icon; left click shared folders
a box pops up for adding host folders to share with the VM.
give full rw permissions and make the folders permanant or they wont be there the next time you load the VM

In my xp VM they showup as network folders.
The path would be "My Network Places - Entire Network - VirtualBox Shared Folders - \\Vboxcvr -" your folders
just put a link on the VM desktop, or in the quicklaunch bar if you use seamless mode, for fast access.
In seamless mode only the taskbar appears, the desktop and icons are hidden.

Ill keep checking back here to see if you get it working or not.
irly

Post by irly »

@CRZEN thanks so much, I already download the latest version of virtualbox ose, It already works for me, thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”