Display locked at 640x480 after Envy installs nvidia driver

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Now and then we get this question. It is (most likely) becuse there is no, or faulty, information about your monitor and then to protect it the resolution is set low.
There is a mechanism to fetch this that failed I think
I have never heard of Sceptre (and I know a bit about hardware) so there may be some hurdle.
Look at the specs for your display and search for something like

Code: Select all

Scanning Frequency
25-82 kHz (H), 50-75 Hz (V)
This is then to go into your xorg.conf file (don't remember how this is handled when you reconfigure and you could have gone for the faulty default) Like this

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync 25.0 - 82.0
	VertRefresh 50-75
	Option "DPMS"
EndSection
So check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
If the figures in the specs and in xorg.conf does not match we have found the cause and you have to change the section accordingly.
First backup

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
then edit

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This is if it's the gnome version
For KDE use kdesu kate and for XFCE sudo mousepad but the rest is the same
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well, we've confirmed that the cause of the error is that the monitor is not correctly recognized
When is the entire log produced? (the one after you write Absolutely the same response... )
Is it at boot?
I see this
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Sep 13 22:27:20 2007
(++) Using config file: "test_xorg.conf"
Now (++) from command line
Have you used the command line?
test_xorg.conf is "the wrong" xorg.conf
normally xorg.conf is used and thats the file you edited
This is no good.
You may try to remove "test_xorg.conf" - need to "sudo" for that
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oops I forgot one of the common causes to this and was reminded when I found this googling for "edid ubuntu"
I have the 19" Dell LCD and it's been detected for a long time, with even older Ubuntus. The other day I booted and it came up in 640x480 mode; after some digging I discovered the display cable had become loose enough that the monitor-metadata-reading code was failing, but somehow it was connected enough that it still was displaying ok. Pretty weird!
And to make things worse I have experienced at times that (for the VGA connector) the connector does not get contact even when fully inserted.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This could possibly be the solution
edit xorg.conf (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
Add to the "Device" section

Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
And add the resolution you want as default first in the lines with resolutions (easy with ctrl+h)

Return to “Beginner Questions”