Hi to all..! New to Linux Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sam2fish

Hi to all..! New to Linux Mint

Post by sam2fish »

I started in computers back in the latter 80's. From 286,s with dos 5.0, and eventually windows after.

I am dual-booting this MSI laptop with win7pro, and Linux Mint 9 (gnome).

I ran PClinuxOS-kde4 for some time, but some things just weren't working. Never liked Gnome from years ago...but this new Mint-Gnome is quite good.

Here my built-in mic works for the first time... seeing I use Skype..! Plus here my "Fn down-&-up buttons" on my laptop gives me a gui.

Really liking my experience here so far. Better than unbuntu for sure.

Just playing, but this is my desktop so far..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hi to all..! New to Linux Mint

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome sam2fish. The desktop looks cool. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome Sam

Glad you have joined the community. Is that one of your favored fishing lakes as your desktop?
sam2fish

Post by sam2fish »

dawgdoc wrote:Welcome Sam

Glad you have joined the community. Is that one of your favored fishing lakes as your desktop?

Thanks for the welcome. Finding Mint quite easy to use.

That background is a old one from Interfacelift. Though I do fish in several of the many lakes north of my city of Saskatoon.

A bit off subject... For rod+reel casting, using the new FireLine (fused crystal) 20-lb test. It's 20-lb test but has the limb of a 4-lb test. That means it can be used for catching small fish even though it's 20-lb test. Yet I can bring in a 10-lb northern pike without having to play him out first.

...now back to the normal programming...
jesica

Post by jesica »

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

sam2fish wrote:A bit off subject... For rod+reel casting, using the new FireLine (fused crystal) 20-lb test. It's 20-lb test but has the limb of a 4-lb test. That means it can be used for catching small fish even though it's 20-lb test. Yet I can bring in a 10-lb northern pike without having to play him out first.

...now back to the normal programming...
Unfortunately I do not fish enough to be into the good stuff. Some of my gear was my grandfather's and father's and is from the early 60's.

My last fishing "trip" was to a local farm pond and I was bank fishing from the levee. Mostly I was catching bream (bluegill/panfish) and small bass on an ultralight spinning rig with 4 lb test. I did catch a 7 lb white catfish on one of my set out poles, it took 10 minutes to land him. At the time I didn't know anything about the state records and did not consider looking because I knew records for blue catfish and channel cats would be from 70 to 120 pounds. But if it was a white catfish, and not an albino, it was about 6 pounds above the current record. :(
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello sam2fish,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

We have a huge thread for desktop screenshots here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... start=3900
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

dawgdoc wrote:But if it was a white catfish, and not an albino, it was about 6 pounds above the current record. :(
Oh noooooooooooooo. :shock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sam2fish

Post by sam2fish »

Really liking this forum so far. You "guys" seem great. The last thing a new-comer wants to see is RTFM.

I've been a hardcore PCLinuxOS for the last two years. But man..... this variant of Ubuntu just simply kills! This Mint-9-gnome is definitely faster than PCLinuxOS-kde-4xx. Not a good advertisement for KDE.

Hope to get it all tweaked to my liking in the next couple of days.

P.S. Tried the ver-10 rc. Still a bit buggy. Though win7 on my tower automatically saw my laptop in Linux. THAT is a first...!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yep. Once you try Mint you'll never go back. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Anutesyn

Post by Anutesyn »

Welcome! The desktop reminds me a little of PClinuxOS :lol:
sam2fish

Post by sam2fish »

tdockery97 wrote:Yep. Once you try Mint you'll never go back. :mrgreen:
I would not of said this a week ago, but I think you're right. Ubuntu-10 is not as good as Mint-9.

I'm a tweaker/hacker, not a script-editor, packager, or programmer. I like to make the OS to my liking...looks/drivers/software, then enjoy it. Why I didn't find this OS before i don't know...life I guess.

I will stick around, and even donate in the near future.....
tkleehamer

Post by tkleehamer »

Hello sam2fish:
I am interested in trying Mint (or loading Ubuntu) on my MS-163k laptop and noticed that you have the same system. I was wondering where you found linux drivers or if Mint/Ubuntu just seemed to have the drivers to recognize everything.

Thanks for your help.
sam2fish

Post by sam2fish »

tkleehamer wrote:Hello sam2fish:
I am interested in trying Mint (or loading Ubuntu) on my MS-163k laptop and noticed that you have the same system. I was wondering where you found linux drivers or if Mint/Ubuntu just seemed to have the drivers to recognize everything.

Thanks for your help.
I was gone for some time. Did you get it all working?

For me on my laptop, it all just worked. I had to pick which wireless connection I was, and bingo, I'm on the net... :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”