Default display manager (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr_Shifty
Level 2
Level 2

Default display manager (SOLVED)

Post by Mr_Shifty »

Okay, not completely sure how this got messed up, but here's my situation.

I have FreeNX installed on my Mint 9 Fluxbox machine. I can connect to it remotely and when I do so I run GNOME in my FreeNX session. This is all well and good. If I'm on the console of this machine, I run Fluxbox, which is pretty much how Kendall made this edition.

Well, today, while I was in a FreeNX session, I lost power and the machine (of course) dumped.

When power was restored, and the machine came up, I was greeted on the console to an XDM login screen. :(

No options for selecting a WM or session. It logs me into GNOME.

I'm formerly a Slackware guy, and normally I'd fix something like this in a jiffy. But I have no idea what I'm looking at here. In /etc/X11/default-display-manager, it simply says "/usr/bin/xdm".

I tried changing that to "/usr/sbin/lxdm", since Mint 9 Fluxbox uses LXDM as the default display manager, right? FAIL.

I'm not having much luck figuring out what broke here.

How do I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Linux Critic
Once a computer beat me in chess, but it was no match for me in kickboxing.
Mr_Shifty
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Default display manager

Post by Mr_Shifty »

Gah... I'm a dolt. Here I was looking around to see confused I had to edit to fix this, when all I had to do was "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lxdm".

I got it now. Don't mind me. :oops: :P
The Linux Critic
Once a computer beat me in chess, but it was no match for me in kickboxing.

Return to “Software & Applications”