Concerns over 2.6.23?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Concerns over 2.6.23?

Post by red-e-made »

Thoughts?

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/09/14/156234.shtml
"The Linux 2.6.23 kernel is expected around the end of the month, and will be the first to include Ingo Molnar's much debated rewrite of the process scheduler called the Completely Fair Scheduler. In another Linux kernel mailing list thread one more developer is complaining about Molnar and his new code. However, according to KernelTrap a number of other Linux developers have stood up to defend Molnar and call into question the motives of the complaints. It will be interesting to see how the new processor really performs when the 2.6.23 kernel is released."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well mr Zippel in
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux ... /12/258754
which is the link "another Linux kernel mailing list thread" writes as the first thing:
I'm must really say, I'm quite impressed by your efforts to give me as
little credit as possible.
Seems to me like "kids in the sandbox" and makes it a bit hard to evaluate this....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This may interest you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=538068

I am thinking about giving this a go!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tested the 2.6.23-RC5-K7, the results were impressive! I tested on an older PC, Athlon XP 1800, VIA sound, NIC, and an ATI Radeon 7200.

Everything worked perfectly! Boot time remained the same.Applications started quicker and the sluggish scrolling in Firefox with Beryl running was almost eliminated!

The 2.6.23 Kernel is still in development so I would not recommend using it on a production machine. There are also some reports of increased fps by 20% with this kernel.

It amazes me how the newer kernels seem to increase performance on older hardware, I would have thought the opposite to be true.

I can't wait to try the final release!
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

exploder wrote:I tested the 2.6.23-RC5-K7, the results were impressive! I tested on an older PC, Athlon XP 1800, VIA sound, NIC, and an ATI Radeon 7200.

Everything worked perfectly! Boot time remained the same.Applications started quicker and the sluggish scrolling in Firefox with Beryl running was almost eliminated!

The 2.6.23 Kernel is still in development so I would not recommend using it on a production machine. There are also some reports of increased fps by 20% with this kernel.

It amazes me how the newer kernels seem to increase performance on older hardware, I would have thought the opposite to be true.

I can't wait to try the final release!
Wow, I'm impressed. I look forward to trying this kernel out myself.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote: Seems to me like "kids in the sandbox" and makes it a bit hard to evaluate this....
I thought so as well, which is why I was hoping more technically experienced people could shed light on this. I suppose I'll just cross my fingers when 2.6.23 comes out, and hope for the best. :)

Return to “Open Chat”