PCLinuxOS e17

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

PCLinuxOS e17

Post by exploder »

PCLinuxOS will be releasing new quarterly releases soon. I wanted to check out the e17 edition and opted for the version for a modern computer, (there is also a version now for older hardware). I must say that I am amazed how solid and stable the new release is! What I mean is e17 has always ran pretty quirky for me but this new release runs great. This release has some very cool artwork, you just have to experience it to appreciate just how nice it is. For those that have wanted to check out e17, this is a nice one to check out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: PCLinuxOS e17

Post by tdockery97 »

I've used PCLinuxOS Gnome in the past and was pretty impressed. I may have to give this new edition a try.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The QT e17 Edition is the most reliable e17 distribution I have tried so far. The only problem I have found so far is the x-screensaver daemon has to be manually started for the screen saver to work, this is pretty minor and there is a discussion about fixing it. I really like how this is built and how well it works. :D
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Good to hear, exploder. I've played around with E16 in the past, but have yet to take a look at E17. I do have PCLOS installed, using the main KDE version. Might have to give the E17 version a whirl. Thanks for the info!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Good to hear, exploder. I've played around with E16 in the past, but have yet to take a look at E17. I do have PCLOS installed, using the main KDE version. Might have to give the E17 version a whirl. Thanks for the info!
Your welcome! :) If you give it a try I would be very interested in your opinion about it.
Robin

Post by Robin »

That's so cool, Exploder. I have played with PCLinuxOS (KDE and Xfce) before and thought it was pretty cool, but two things put me off for now:

The first was hardware issues (mostly sound, but shut-down stuff too... I hate using the power-off button or "halt" command). The second was - um, forgive me but... "bloat!"* And people say Xubuntu got bloated, but omygosh. PCLinuxOS' Xfce mix (Phoenix) is super-ultra-mega-bloated with all kindsa extra stuff I'll never use. I know, easily removed, but wow. It's gorgeous though. But slower than Xubuntu and a LOT slower than Mint Xfce.

The community there is very friendly though, and very supportive of kids like me (as long as those kids take the time to search before asking questions that have been answered a zillion times already). And requests for stuff in the repos are handled very quickly! I asked for Xournal and got it in the repo the same day! Plenty of support, rolling release, great community, alot to like about PCLinuxOS.

My big brother uses the Gnome version and loves it. If it ran better on my old hand-me-down I'd be torn between it and Mint Xfce.

-Robin

* I've written about "bloat" before that I think the term is way too overused and applied to things it shouldn't be. I even wrote a blog post on Linux.com about it at
http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/what-is-bloat.html
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Robin, there is an e17 edition for older computers, it uses lighter applications. I tried the one for modern computers on a machine that should run fast with new releases but wasn't. So far this computer is running nice and quick with the QT based e17, it has the bling without the bloat just as Texstar said.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I installed some additional themes last night and this really looks awesome! I was able to make the gtk and kde apps blend in pretty nice with the stock system tools. This is really nice! :D
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

My Son used PCLOS KDE
Very nice and hardware detection is fantastic.
No _64 though
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

No _64 though
There is a 64 bit kernel that can be installed. :)

Edit: The screen saver fix is coming and Texstar created a "how to" for getting it to start automagically. :D
Robin

Post by Robin »

exploder wrote:I installed some additional themes last night and this really looks awesome! I was able to make the gtk and kde apps blend in pretty nice with the stock system tools. This is really nice! :D
Screenshots! What's that they say.... "Pics or didn't happen!" :D

-R
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here you go. :D

http://img202.imageshack.us/i/pclose17.jpg/

The stars appear and move around on the wallpaper.
Robin

Post by Robin »

exploder wrote:
Here you go. :D

http://img202.imageshack.us/i/pclose17.jpg/

The stars appear and move around on the wallpaper.
That is supercool! I've seen some animated wallpapers (falling autumn leaves, snowflakes, moving water, etc) on Mom's Win7 machine and they're just enviable. But E17 might just be light enough to run on my very modest hardware. I look forward to reading your further reviews of this new mixture!

Your posts about distros and software are always thorough, thoughtful, and positive. I always look forward to new stuff from you!

Thanks,
Robin
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Just downloaded and burned the ISO. From a quick 5-minute look at the live CD, I have to say I am very impressed. Far and away the most professional looking distro I have ever seen. I just love the rising Sun while the CD is loading. I'm going to have to install it and give it a real test. If it is half as good as it looks it will earn a partition on my HDD.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is what my desktop currently looks like.

http://img404.imageshack.us/i/pclinuxose17.jpg/

PCLinuxOS QT based e17 runs better on this particular machines hardware than anything else and it is blazing fast! Application launch is almost instant. I customized Firefox with the latest elementary theme and went even further by making it more streamlined and simple. I have had to ask some questions as far as where settings are in e17 but I am getting the hang of it. I was on my Ubuntu 10.10 install yesterday and it seems so slow in comparison to this now.

This is very configurable, I was able to make gtk and kde apps look good in this with the provided configuration tools and must say that I am very happy with the way this is looking. :D mmesantos1 has had a positive influence on me as far as getting the theme to look cool. (Yes, mmesantos1 you read that right!) I think the optimized desktop kernel Texstar built makes the difference in the on-board nvidea graphics working so well. I did not have to spend any time fixing anything on this, just added a few applications I needed and started customizing it to my liking.

This is a very stable and it is the best e17 release I have ever tried.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Another good E17 distro:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

PCLinuxOS was actually my very first distro that I tried. I put it on a Dell Latitude D400 laptop. It mostly worked. The only thing that refused to was sleep mode when the laptop lid was closed. I eventually gave up on it in favor of openSUSE 10.3, which did work completely.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

JonM33 wrote:PCLinuxOS was actually my very first distro that I tried. I put it on a Dell Latitude D400 laptop. It mostly worked. The only thing that refused to was sleep mode when the laptop lid was closed. I eventually gave up on it in favor of openSUSE 10.3, which did work completely.
Yeah, I found out it doesn't dual boot well with other distros without a lot of messin' around. So now I have my Mint 10 for main distro, SimplyMEPIS secondary, and Macpup for emergency backup or away from home distro on USB flash drive.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Texstar kicks ass, I bet it's really nice.

Return to “Chat about Linux”