Keyboard stops responding randomly

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sleepee

Keyboard stops responding randomly

Post by sleepee »

hello everybody. first i'd like to say, i've been an ubuntu user for just a couple years, and i've finally decided to give linux mint a try after hearing so much hype about it. right now i'm using linux mint 10 rc and for the most part, i've really liked it.
i do have one small situation though.
for some reason, as of the last day or 2, i've had issues with my keyboard. it seems whenever i have more than two programs running at a time, my keyboard stops responding. once i close the third program, my keyboard works again without a problem.
i have no idea what i did to make this happen. i make sure my system is always up to date. and i haven't installed any shady software, that i know of.
the last software that i installed was lirc, but i doubt that had anything to do with this.. i really have no idea. i'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this or knows anything about this. thanks guys..

edit: found out what triggered the keyboard unresponsiveness..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hatch

Re: Keyboard stops responding randomly

Post by Hatch »

edit: found out what triggered the keyboard unresponsiveness..
Can you explain what it was and how you fixed for others who might encounter the same problem? Also, be sure to mark the topic with a [SOLVED] tag.
sleepee

Post by sleepee »

sorry, i didn't mean i fixed the problem.
i just meant that i realized when the problem starts.
it's when i have a certain number of programs running. for example, if i have firefox, totem, and jdownloader open at the same time, my keyboard stops working. i have to close one of those programs for my keyboard to work again. i don't know how to fix it yet. i just know how the problem starts..
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

goto control center>keyboard>typing break see if there is a check in the box to enforce typing break
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
frank_claessen

Post by frank_claessen »

sleepee wrote:sorry, i didn't mean i fixed the problem.
it's when i have a certain number of programs running. for example, if i have firefox, totem, and jdownloader open at the same time, my keyboard stops working. i have to close one of those programs for my keyboard to work again. i don't know how to fix it yet. i just know how the problem starts..
Hi all,

I have a similar problem. Still trying to figure out what makes it happen.

In my case the back space key and the delete key both stop working.
The delete-key on the keypad keeps working.

Testing the non-responsive keys with xev shows indeed no response at all from both keys.

I was under the assumption that the keys stopped working while entering text in a search field in Firefox. I have installed Chromium which shows the same problem.

Following the next post - control-center/keyboard/check if there is a tick before typing break - the keyboard started functioning normal. While typing this message it stopped working again and - after selecting a portion of text and typing on - it started reacting again.

In short - it is still very uncertaing what happens and what triggers it.

EDIT- the trigger is still not clear but the solution is now!! It stops backspacing? cursor to the left, select the text, overtype and VOILA! Backspace works again.

Cheers Frank
frank_claessen

Post by frank_claessen »

frank_claessen wrote:
sleepee wrote:sorry, i didn't mean i fixed the problem.
Hi all,

I have a similar problem. Still trying to figure out what makes it happen.

In my case the back space key and the delete key both stop working.
The delete-key on the keypad keeps working.

Testing the non-responsive keys with xev shows indeed no response at all from both keys.

I was under the assumption that the keys stopped working while entering text in a search field in Firefox. I have installed Chromium which shows the same problem.

Following the next post - control-center/keyboard/check if there is a tick before typing break - the keyboard started functioning normal. While typing this message it stopped working again and - after selecting a portion of text and typing on - it started reacting again.

In short - it is still very uncertaing what happens and what triggers it.

EDIT- the trigger is still not clear but the solution is now!! It stops backspacing? cursor to the left, select the text, overtype and VOILA! Backspace works again.

Cheers Frank
Hi all,

Guess I have to admit that my keyboard problem appeared to be a hardware problem. A 3 month "old" laptop giving trouble :evil: You might say I am disappointed!!

Sorry for perhaps misleading information from my part
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

What kind of laptop is it.....I want to make sure I dont buy the same kind
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
frank_claessen

Post by frank_claessen »

willie42 wrote:What kind of laptop is it.....I want to make sure I dont buy the same kind
It' s an Ahtec Sense CM761S notebook - not even the cheapest machine around. Paid over 600 Euro for it!!

:mrgreen:
linux.user

Post by linux.user »

I'm using the Fujitsu P3010 AMD CPU notebook. Everything worked fine with Linux Mint 13. I upgraded to Linux Mint 14 using the apt method. Everything seems to work fine and in rare occasions the keys from the keyboard simply stops working (I cannot input anything, either in a password window, a search window, or inside the notepad, or in libreoffice).

Any suggestions to help identify the problem will be appreciated.

One more issue: having uped to 14. the "other software" tab in "Software Sources" still shows "Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin". When I "Edit the Source, the URL is: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/, and Distribution shows "quantal". I suppose this is a cosmetic issue. It will be nice to have it fixed.

Cordially,

Linux User
linux.user.1982@gmail.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”