Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
rbloch66

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by rbloch66 »

I've been running LMDE since it was released and for the most part I love it.
An issue I notice a LOT of people are having is in getting their microphone to work. There have been some remedies suggested in different areas, but still many, including myself, have not found resolution to this issue.

I hope this is one issue that gets corrected soon.
brice

[LMDE] Live session on USB rebooting endlessly

Post by brice »

Hello,
I've lost a couple of hours trying to boot on a USB key to run the live session, tests made with unetbootin, LinuxLive and Multiboot v-3, USB formated in FAT32.
My pc was allways rebooting before showing any menu.
At the end, I read this
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/linux/2 ... ebian.html.
The solution was to format in FAT32 >>> WITH WINDOWS <<<. ironic.
Testing LMDE now :)
jurugu

Post by jurugu »

If i read the debian philosophy correctly, then it seems to me that testing doesnt get any security updates/fixes especially in its frozen state. Debian doesn't even recommend to use testing at all due to this problem. Security fixes only go to sid/unstable or to stable.
How do you address this problem? Does this mean that security vulnerabilities wont be fixed in LMDE at all?
sir fer

Post by sir fer »

Great work Clem and team

Ubuntu is a steaming pile and nothing but the worst way one could fork Debian. I started using Linux with Ubuntu7.10 and IMO it has been downhill ever since, and I have been using Debian straight since Ubuntu8.04 decided to poop in my nest. Shuttleworth wants to be the Steve Jobs of the Linux world. Another megalomaniac who takes his audience for fools. The Ubuntu crowd break something new with each "release". I am a confirmed Debian advocate. It may not be as n00b-friendly as some may like, but computing never is (how many n00bs could even install Windows?). Unfortunately, GNOME is still a bugfest (try getting panel changes to stick after a restart) but even so, LMDE is so easy, a few minor issues hasn't put me off...

I have, for the longest time thought that any distro based on Debian Testing would be a fantastic idea, and thanks to Clem & co, it has happened. I am now using LMDE fulltime sans pulseaudio (alsa is still far superior) but apart from that, I have done minimal tweaking and adjustments etc and it is still going strong.

[EDIT]
I upgraded the base to sid before terminating the install and despite a few apt hiccups, nothing a dpkg-reconfigure -a && dkpg --configure -a couldn't fix, everything went fine, even with kernels from Debian experiemental. Having a power cut in the middle of an upgrade didn't help either I'm sure. Having Mint with Sid as a base was funny.

Now back on Debian Sid + xfce...can't honestly see any difference.

I think LMDE will be a great intro to Debian for many people
Last edited by sir fer on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crborga

Post by crborga »

nice work so far so good went from mint 8 to clean install mint Debian edition finally wireless adapter wg111v3 works properly
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Hardware problem.
I have an LG external USB DVD drive/burner.
Using LMDE 201009 (32bit) , my Braseo will not read a DVD disk.
Yet , Nautilus will read the DVD with no problem.
But if I boot LM 9 (64bit Main edition) , Brasero will read the removeable drive with no problem.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The dmraid package is not installed by default with LMDE (like it is with the latest Ubuntu based Mints). This will cause a lot of headaches for people running drives on a motherboard fakeRAID controller.

Also, even after I manually installed the dmraid package I cannot get it to activate my RAID.

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~/Desktop $ sudo dmraid -ay
RAID set "isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume" was not activated
Anyone know what's going on with that?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

So does anyone know the current state of dmraid in Debian?

I've tried google and launchpad and found tons of stuff about it being broken, then fixed, then oops, still broken, then supposedly actually fixed, then broken again (regression), but I lost the trail sometime around mid 2009. From my experience above it seems it is still broken (same symptoms as many of the bug reports), but I find that hard to believe since it has been working in Ubuntu for years (I've been using it since Mint-3 Cassandra/Celena).

Anyway... what's the status?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

So, any news on a 64 Bit Debian release?
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

I wouldn't count on any news about the Debian Edition at the moment since the team is busy with the Mint 10 Julia release and as you should know the works, polishing on LMDE will start after that somewhere in December if i'm not wrong here.

I guess there will be a official 64bit LMDE in the end but show a little more patience. :wink:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Just curious...perhaps someone who is using Linux Mint Debian can tell me or check for me....do you have access to the new Ubuntu Fonts?
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

I think so. But in any case, it's a quick job installing them.
wolfjb

Post by wolfjb »

+1 for a 64 bit version

I did install (in a VM) the 32 bit version and am enjoying using it :D . Would prefer a 64 bit version though. Am running Linux Mint 9 64 bit version as my primary os.

Jeff
Ghost_Rider

Post by Ghost_Rider »

Well done everyone! When will the 64 bit version be released?
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

I have been using LMDE since early Sept. I have to say, it is great. Love every aspect of it.
You guys have done a fantastic job. Kudos. Low memory usage, speed, great looking graphics, and I love that Mint Menu. It is so much better than the standard Menu.
I have Compiz & Emerald installed and my desktop now, absolutely great.
Thanks again for a job well done.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I have to say I totally agree with everyone else it's a fantastic step forward for Mint :D I finally got around to really trying out LMDE last night and I've now completely switched it even convinced me to finally delete my windows 7 partition and with the speed boost that the Liquorix kernel adds (my laptop boots in under 15 seconds :shock: ) I think I will be enjoying LMDE for some time to come :wink:
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

+1 for the 64 bit edition
I have 6 gb of memory on my pc and the 32bit edition only recognizance 3.x
the other thing that needs to be improve is the installer and something to make automatic the installation nvidia and Ati video drivers
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

let's not forget the font rendering....should at least match Ubuntu's... :)
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Carl wrote:I have to say I totally agree with everyone else it's a fantastic step forward for Mint :D I finally got around to really trying out LMDE last night and I've now completely switched it even convinced me to finally delete my windows 7 partition and with the speed boost that the Liquorix kernel adds (my laptop boots in under 15 seconds :shock: ) I think I will be enjoying LMDE for some time to come :wink:
Wow, 15 seconds???!!! What's your spec? My new desktop boots in just over 30 seconds and I thought I was doing well... :mrgreen:
folsomlqxdf

Post by folsomlqxdf »

I moved (quite happily) to Mint now that you're not based on Ubuntu anymore -- I've moved away from ubuntu based on some disagreements with Shuttleworth's view of things.
Thanks!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”