Linux Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint Debian

Post by newyorkpaulie »

In Mint 8 my user password worked when signing on as root. With LMDE it does not. Is there a way to logon as root? Is there a password already in place with an install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint Debian

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Newbie Questions
indaymadel

Post by indaymadel »

newyorkpaulie wrote:In Mint 8 my user password worked when signing on as root. With LMDE it does not. Is there a way to logon as root? Is there a password already in place with an install?
What do you mean signing on as root? Login as root? I think you login from your user account with password. Then do sudo command to run administrative commands.
Other than that, you can do "sudo -i" to actually change to root.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

indaymadel wrote:
newyorkpaulie wrote:In Mint 8 my user password worked when signing on as root. With LMDE it does not. Is there a way to logon as root? Is there a password already in place with an install?
What do you mean signing on as root? Login as root? I think you login from your user account with password. Then do sudo command to run administrative commands.
Other than that, you can do "sudo -i" to actually change to root.
I meant logging in as "root" and then when asked for password, my user password sufficed.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Change GDM's settings.

#sudo
[type pass]
#gdmsetup
Configure gdm and allow it to login as root

Although why anyone would ever need to run Gnome or any other DE/wm as root is beyond me.

Not only is it not a bad idea, it is also a good way to trash your system.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Have t go with craig's assesment on this reading scorp123 post in a simalar thread about 3 years ago. He told how in his first year working with one of the distro's in the owrkplace accidently wiping the hard driveof a server while doing admin work in a desktop. As he said that day he learned the importance of complete backups :D
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Mint (Ubuntu) never allowed root login by default (root account has a random password and root login to the GUI is disabled). You must have set the root password yourself and enabled GUI login in Mint-8.

As others have said, it's pointless and generally a bad idea to login to the GUI as root. There is simply no need to do that. Learn to use sudo in the terminal.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Lolo Uila wrote:Mint (Ubuntu) never allowed root login by default (root account has a random password and root login to the GUI is disabled).
Ubuntu yes, Mint no. Mint sets the root password to be the same as the user password. You can test this by using 'su' (not sudo su) to start a root terminal or logging in to webmin which needs root as the account to make changes to printers. Graphical login is disabled though.
Lolo Uila wrote: As others have said, it's pointless and generally a bad idea to login to the GUI as root. There is simply no need to do that. Learn to use sudo in the terminal.
+1
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

or gksu if you really need something graphical to to have root access
vincent

Post by vincent »

If you want to give your root account a password: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootS ... %20account

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root
alan_newbie

Post by alan_newbie »

sudo passwd root which you will be familiar with from ubuntu ( & LM 9, LM 10) to set root password
for LMDE open terminal as root
backup these two files first
/etc/pam.d/gdm3
/etc/pam.d/gdm3-autologin

open these files with gedit in root to edit
comment (add #) this line in each file as below
#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
save files and login as root
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

When I need root access for a series of commands, I simply open a terminal and type

sudo bash
then enter the CLI commands, for example, you might want/need to change file permissions/ownership on files moved from another machine or use apt-get/aptitude for updates. You could also use update-manager followed by

apt-get autoclean
to clean up your code cache.

You can move things around with CLI commands or type

sudo nautilus
or

sudo pcmanfm
or whatever your favorite file manager is to simply right click on the files to change permissions/ownership as an alternative.
Fred

Post by Fred »

cwsnyder,

You should never try to run a GUI program using sudo. Doing so can and will, over time, break your desktop in multiple seemingly random ways. Use gksu or kdesu instead of sudo for GUI programs run as root.

Fred
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Fred wrote:cwsnyder,

You should never try to run a GUI program using sudo. Doing so can and will, over time, break your desktop in multiple seemingly random ways. Use gksu or kdesu instead of sudo for GUI programs run as root.

Fred
:oops: Thanks for the warning. I hadn't run into that information before.

Return to “LMDE Archive”