Notify OSD volume meter is wrong

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
orb

Notify OSD volume meter is wrong

Post by orb »

In notify-osd, something is conflicting with the volume meter (feedback for using volume up/down/mute keys). The meter shows in the bottom center of the screen, and it does not match notify-osd. It looks particularly horrible with Compiz enabled. Other notifications seem to be working fine.

Htop shows gnome-settings-daemon as being active when I press a volume key, but searching the internet I'm also seeing references to gnome-power-manager, libnotify, etc...

Does anyone know what needs to be done to fully integrate notify-osd with LMDE? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting this.

Many thanks.

-edit- I originally posted that I had installed notify-osd from the Ubuntu repos, but that was on other Debian installs where I have tried to add notify-osd and the same problem has arisen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: How to install Notify OSD?

Post by msuggs »

LMDE already came with notify-osd by default. Purge the package you have now and reinstall it.

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove --purge notify-osd
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install notify-osd
orb

Post by orb »

Hey omns, thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realize you were involved in LMDE. Maybe you remember me as hhh from the !# forums, we had a conversation re: running RGBA transparency under Xfce vs under Gnome.

I was posting from memory, I was wrong about installing notify-osd from the Ubuntu repos. I just booted a Live USB and gnome-settings-daemon is taking over the volume meter. Here's a screen...
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5667 ... shothd.png

I have tried installing notify-osd under Debian and had the same result, notifications work but the volume feedback is wrong.

I have to go out for the rest of the day, but I'll reinstall LMDE as soon as possible and see if purging/reinstalling does anything.

I'm the only one to have posted about this?

Good to hear from you!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

oh, hello orb/hhh,

I remember that thread well at #! I still don't know what you were trying to achieve :P :)

Now that I understand what you were asking I must admit to not noticing it before. Perhaps I don't use hotkeys to change my volume enough? I'd be interested to see if a squeeze install does this as well. I might do some testing later.
orb

Post by orb »

I still don't know what you were trying to achieve
Trying to get my setup looking as good as it can.

Same on every Gnome/Debian setup I've ever tried. I'm guessing it's the same for brightness controls (for laptops).
orb

Post by orb »

orb wrote:Same on every Gnome/Debian setup I've ever tried.
Here is Gnome running on Crunchbang Statler, which also has notify-osd installed by default and works correctly with either the Openbox or Xfce version...

Click for full screen.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

orb wrote:Here is Gnome running on Crunchbang Statler, which also has notify-osd installed by default and works correctly with either the Openbox or Xfce version....
Seeing as Statler doesn't have any configs for a gnome session pre-installed, doesn't that mean you are just running Debian Gnome? Statler is afterall just Debian with some custom configs.
orb

Re: Notify OSD volume meter is wrong

Post by orb »

Yes, I would say that's right. If I install the gnome-settings-daemon package and dependencies from the Ubuntu repos, the "wrong" volume meter doesn't appear but the "right" one doesn't either.

I've tried PureOS Gnome and installed notify-osd from Ubuntu's repos, same result. A new LMDE install has the same display, shouldn't that be fully configured for notify-osd? I've never installed standard Mint, but I'd assume notify-osd works fully there.
thesecitylights

Post by thesecitylights »

Hi,

Can someone help me please. I was messing around with my linux mint debian install and did the following:
omns wrote:LMDE already came with notify-osd by default. Purge the package you have now and reinstall it.

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove --purge notify-osd
sudo apt-get update
Only I get errors when I do the last bit:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package notify-osd is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

N: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Package 'notify-osd' has no installation candidate

And now I have basically uninstall notifyosd and cannot reinstall it again. I now have a horrible notifier and want this one back.

Can someone help me get it back please ??

Thank you
orb

Post by orb »

thesecitylights wrote:And now I have basically uninstall notifyosd and cannot reinstall it again.
Add the following line to the bottom of /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://ubuntu.mirror.cambrium.nl/ubuntu/ lucid main
Then...
sudo apt-get update

Remove the sources.list entry and update again.
thesecitylights

Post by thesecitylights »

Ok I tried that.

Updating ater adding the line brings up a tonne of error messages like this:

W: Failed to fetch http://ubuntu.mirror.cambrium.nl/ubuntu ... ackages.gz Cannot initiate the connection to ubuntu.mirror.cambrium.nl:80 (2a02:58:3:2:80::1). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) [IP: 2a02:58:3:2:80::1 80]

And then doing

$ sudo apt-get install notify-osd

Brings up this: (Same as before)

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package notify-osd is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

N: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Package 'notify-osd' has no installation candidate

HELP!!!
orb

Post by orb »

Dude, you've completely hijacked this thread. It looks like the Netherlands mirror is down, use a local mirror. Remove the other entry from sources.list. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and choose your architecture. Then click on one of the mirrors to download the .deb and install it with gdebi...
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/notify-osd

Return to “LMDE Archive”