LMDE does not have Acidrip in Package Manager SOLVED

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pythagorean

LMDE does not have Acidrip in Package Manager SOLVED

Post by pythagorean »

I installed LMDE to give it a try and I noticed that it does not have Acidrip in the software manager or in the package manager. Also, sudo apt-get install acidrip does not result an install... it returns the message that there is no such package.

Anyone else run into this? Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: LMDE does not have Acidrip in Package Manager

Post by dawgdoc »

I found a post in the Debian Bug Report Logs that states AcidRip is no longer in Debian and therefore not in LMDE. I guess you could hunt down a .deb package built for lenny, but that may well involve a lot of dependency problems. Or you could build from source code. The most recent available at SourceForge is ver 0.14 which was released in 2004
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Rather surprising since I have it installed in Linux Mint 10 RC and I got it from package manager with no problem.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

pythagorean wrote: I have it installed in Linux Mint 10 RC and I got it from package manager
LM 10 is based on Ubuntu and uses Ubuntu's repos, LMDE is based on Debian and uses Debian's repos, these are completely separate things and cannot be compared.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Multimedia & Codecs
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

I have a lot to re-learn I guess since I have been using Fedora and Linux Mint and it seems to me that Debian truly is yesterday's distro if the very first package I tried to install is not included.

One always reads things like "Debian has 25,000 software packages available" so imagine the improbability of picking the software you can't get through the package installer as your first attempt to use your new distro. Sad.

I like the idea of a rolling distro but I am not going back to compiling from source. Luckily, All I had invested was that I was giving it a test run in Virtualbox. And now:

DELETE ldme.vdi.
vincent

Post by vincent »

It's not "improbable" to not be able to find certain packages you want in Debian; in fact, on my Debian installation, I almost have as many external repositories as I used to have with straight-up Ubuntu/Mint. Keep in mind that package maintainers (as well as everyone working on Debian) are strictly volunteers, who can choose exactly what and when they want to package stuff. If there is no current maintainer for a package you want, well, you could learn to become a package maintainer yourself if you wanted to. ;)
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Well it turns out that all I needed to do was download the all deb version and then cd to the extracted folder and then as superuser I used the command

perl Makefile.PL

after which I just used the usual make install.

The only aspect of all of this that was unexpected was that I had also install lsdvd from package manager to get acidrip to list the tracks correctly. Here is where I found the overall idea:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/ans ... tion_Howto

I skipped to the end because a lot of what is written in the link seems sort of out of date but that perl Makefile.PL command really taught me an important lesson, which is why I wrote this note.

SOLVED

Return to “LMDE Archive”