I've had a Testing-moment.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sgosnell

Re: I've had a Testing-moment.

Post by sgosnell »

You can get it outside the repos. I'm not paranoid about installing some things from outside. If you are, I guess you'll have to wait.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

No, neither am I. :)

I was here:
http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository debian/
And here:
http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository squeeze/

But they are working again I see.
Last edited by rijnsma on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twa

Post by twa »

rijnsma,
remastersys on Debian only works with file system ext3.
http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/debian.html
ciao
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Ext3 is good, I don't use ext4 and Grub2, because they destroy my multiboot-system.
The link you give is the page where the links are, I showed.

I've downloaded the package. I'm going to test. Thanks for the support!! :D
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Made an ISO and the livecd. I know the program, so no problem.
At startup the livecd looks great. I have not tested install, but I think it could be right on this multiboot system,
although there is a Grub2 and a depressed Grub, the Gdebi installer said...
(My MBR is from a distro on another partition; it is Grub1.)
So problem maybe over?! Thanks again! I can use LMDE safe now if all is right. :wink:
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

One odd thing I noticed is that the OP replaced LMDE with Fedora which is less conservative about new software than Debian Sid.
If you are not comfortable on the leading/bleeding edge then Debian is a better choice.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Jeffrey: If that's me you're referring to, I'm absolutely no conservative - I just need things to work, and somewhere along the line my LMDE-install apparently broke from my... let's call it curiosity. :) F14 is still working, though Compiz isn't behaving as I expected. And I miss DektopNova... ... Uh, wait, what are all those compilers for, anyway? SourceForge, here I come!
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Fedora 14 isn't based on a development branch of anything since it went final. LMDE is. Testing or Sid based distros aren't for everyone and they will likely break sometimes. So, if you don't like fixing things sometimes or waiting for the repos to fix them, they're probably not the best choice. Neither Sid or Testing are intended for production use.

In fact I would say that if you want a nonbuntu out of the box distro that is less prone to breakage, Fedora, PCLOS or something like Mepis are excellent choices. personally I would recommend PCLOS - Texstar is a freaking god and they have a great community. If there ever is a prob, he fixes things super fast (sometimes within hours) and they have the best implementation of KDE I've ever used. Needless to say, Julia is also an excellent choice. Clem and the team do a nice job cleaning *buntu up and it's a little easier for them to fix things with. With LMDE they are pretty much at the mercy of the Debian repos.

Personally I think LMDE is a nice fork of Debian, especially after tweaking things a bit. But users looking for an out of the box, low maintenance distro may not. (just wait a couple of weeks, when the testing repos unfreeze, things might get interesting lol.)

from the Mint blog:
4. How does LMDE compare to the Ubuntu-based editions?

Pros:

* You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
* It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.

Cons:

* Although it’s using Romeo for unstable packages, LMDE continuously changes as it receives updates and new software. Compared to a frozen version of Linux Mint which changes very little once it’s publicly released, it’s not as stable. Things are likely to break more often but fixes can also come quicker. For this reason, LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
* Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
Good luck!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

My personal solution is to run LMDE pointed at Squeeze. Once Squeeze goes final I'll have a good stable distro for a few years. I also have the new PCLOS E17 on a USB flash drive.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Good way to roll. I went with Sid 'cause I crave adventure :lol:. But with Squeeze you will have an excellent LTS release with the legendary Debian stability. A great choice if you don't need the bleeding edge stuff.
It should be mentioned here though, for the benefit of other readers wishing to make that change, that the time is rather short now. Once testing updates fire up again, changing to Squeeze at that point may break your install.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

I did it a week ago (pointing at squeeze and synch) and it's all right.
Silly not so important question:
Is it also possible to go back to testing, when Sqeeze comes at the end of its lifecycle?
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

That shouldn't be a prob, you would want to do a dist-upgrade after you change the repos. You should do the d-u outside of X in runlevel 3 to be safer. Of course with the development branches its always a little bit of a crap shot so as always, keep your fingers crossed lol.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Ooww, if things go wrong I take my saved data and install the new edition. But I always try to keep the old ones
as long as possible and/or as long as I like the version. I prefer LTS-like. :D
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

Weeelllll, after reading through this thread, I realize that maybe, :? just maybe I need to learn a little more about this stuff. :shock: I have about a quarter of a quarter of a half of a percent understanding of what I just got through reading. :? Actually, I think that is pegging my understanding a little too high! :shock: :? I think I'll go play like I know what I am doing in another thread. :D C'ya!
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Azati Prime »

Is there some way to get the cool new toys from Mint 10 in LMDE?
EDIT: Just discovered the Romeo repository. I'm guessing that's it.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Take care!
Mint 10 is much Ubuntu-like and Debian second.
LMDE is by far Debian (I think).
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Azati: Romeo is Mint's development/testing-branch. Probably a bit more reliable than Debian's sid, but it's still marked unstable. As rijnsma, I advice some caution - and keep a VERY close eye on what exact repository the package you're upgrading to/installing comes from!

Return to “LMDE Archive”