LMDE - partitioning question

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
JakeUT

LMDE - partitioning question

Post by JakeUT »

Hello!

I recently installed LMDE and took the plunge to completely clear the slate from Ubuntu 10.10 I had on my laptop. The installer did not have the slick auto partitioning section so I just created 1 huge partition. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to create partitions for usr tmp var boot home etc.?

Sorry I am still learning a lot and may have taken this jump to LMDE too soon, but I like learning. Can I use gparted after the fact and set this stuff up better? Do I have to reinstall? Everything runs great as is though!

Thanks for any help.

-Jake
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
azathoth

Re: LMDE - partitioning question

Post by azathoth »

It's good practice to do so but not critical. A single partition will work fine.
Don't worry about changing your current setup, it would be easier to start clean if you want to add partitions for /var, /home, etc.
Last edited by azathoth on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

You can use gparted anytime . . . but, you have to use the partition editor from 'outside' the OS.

Use the same LiveCD you used to install Mint, in the first place ... you can then edit from the "Live" feature.
(You cannot edit/change any partition if you are using it.)

If Mint is the "only" OS on the computer you don't even need a SWAP partition.

I have LMDE on my netbook ... one big partition and no swap.
JakeUT

Post by JakeUT »

That's a relief. Thanks for the replies!

Return to “LMDE Archive”