unable to start mint after install from mint4win

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonylwat3

unable to start mint after install from mint4win

Post by tonylwat3 »

windows works great- win7x64 -- computer runs great - installed mint x86 using mint4win- installed OK but now when i goto run mint i can't . tried default but screen blinked then went black an nothing tried compatibly mode some dos or i think you guys call it terminal commands flashed then screen goes blank and monitor shuts off and computer falls silent. i have to do a hard boot(push power button) to get back to mints grub. i had to install mint using apic workaround which did work and installed fine then it rebooted and now i can't start mint, only windows 7.. system specs are intel q6600 --- nvidia 9500gt 4 gig ram acer aspire m5641- i am stumped installed mint 10 rc. any idea would be helpful. thank you for your time -- tried Ubuntu last night had same issue. :?
i also tried to boot from a live cd x64 with no luck i could really use some help. i have also tried to run from compatlity mode but all i get is a mint command prompt not sure how to get to the gui from there - i have tried startx command but with no luck. i have also tried diabling apic in bios but then windows would not boot so had to revert. anybody have any ideas besides giving up, cause now it's a quest.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Karliboy

Re: unable to start mint after install from mint4win

Post by Karliboy »

As far as I can understand, mint4win is a 32-bits application - and like all 32-bits applications, it might have issues with a 64-bit OS, which in your case is Windows. What I believe is that the "emulation" software - which makes running Mint as a Windows application possible, is unable to run fully successfully in 64-bits Windows, hence your problem - it won't boot Mint.

This is just my pure theory, I might be wrong.

EDIT: Try downloading the 64-bits version of Mint 10 RC, and it should do the trick. Make sure to uninstall the other mint4win before you install this one.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=68
tonylwat3

Post by tonylwat3 »

i tried the x64 version with same results. will not boot normal (default) and when i try compatibly some terminal commands flash then nothing although i think the problem may lay in irq setting i am just not sure how to fix . the only way i could install is by using acpi workaround i tried lapic pci=routeirq and acpi=off did a google search to try to solve problem i at my wits end and i don't know how to fix, i like linux in particular mint but it seems a pain. any help would be great. thank you in advance
Joe-Z

Post by Joe-Z »

hey!

i know this thread is old, but it seems the creator and I have the exact same problem.
I tried installing Mint via mint4win and it worked perfectly, but when it rebooted it didn't start till i tried the "ACPI Workarounds" option.
Then it would start without problems and install Mint, but after that I also couldn't start it anymore (neither in normal, nor in recovery mode)

I just wanted to know if there has been a solution to this problem by now?

additional information:
-I tried mint 11 & mint 12 so far (both x64. my windows 7 is x64 too)
-when I start the first time after the install with the "ACPI Workarounds"-option i get to see some outputs and in one of them it says:
"Fallback graphics solution [fail]" or so (altough I have to say there are two of these outputs and it states 'fail' only for the second)
-so, this is my graphics card (if that helps):
Nvidia GT 220M
-when the mint installation is finished I get some strange flicker before it restarts
-when I start in recovery mode it seems to be frozen at "Loading initial ramdisk..."

Thanks in advance!
tonylwat3

Post by tonylwat3 »

i gave up- don't even have the same system anymore. but i can tell you it (mint) seemed to not like extra stuff attached by usb. hard drives, and hubs. it may be related to trying to configure it's self to to much at one time. but then again i also had the same issue with Ubuntu and in the end i gave up. good luck :(

Return to “Installation & Boot”