Update Manager not showing updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Update Manager not showing updates

Post by Fornhamfred »

The icon on my panel never shows that updates are available. When the icon is clicked the manager will then display the available updates. Auto refresh is set to 10 minutes and all icons are open.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newfie

Re: Update Manager not showing updates

Post by newfie »

I can confirm this... it's a bit annoying.

I usually just use Terminal anyway, though.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Prior to installing LMDE I was using Mint 9 and the update manager was the best implimentation of any of the versions of Mint. It seems strange that the Mint applications which are used in LMDE were the versions which worked very well in 9.
mads

Post by mads »

Hi. This is from Linux Mint Debian's release notes (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php):

Known problems in Linux Mint Debian
Update Manager
The Update Manager used in LMDE is the same as the one in other editions of Linux Mint. No adaptation or changes were made yet to accomodate it to the rolling nature of LMDE.

From what I have read in this forum, the Update Manager is not that important in lmde and the preferred method to update is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
:
There are several good posts about the "best way" to update lmde in the forums, but I don't have the links to post.
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

mads wrote:There are several good posts about the "best way" to update lmde in the forums, but I don't have the links to post.
You could try http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5b8f3e2d07
mads

Post by mads »

Thanks a lot Tony.B. This is the post I was thinking of.
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

mads wrote:Hi. This is from Linux Mint Debian's release notes (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php):

Known problems in Linux Mint Debian
Update Manager
The Update Manager used in LMDE is the same as the one in other editions of Linux Mint. No adaptation or changes were made yet to accomodate it to the rolling nature of LMDE.

From what I have read in this forum, the Update Manager is not that important in lmde and the preferred method to update is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
:
There are several good posts about the "best way" to update lmde in the forums, but I don't have the links to post.
This is completely new to me as a former Ubuntu user. Thanks mads, for this info.

Should this not be made more clear to those without much debain rolling distro experience? Even a sticky thread on the subject in the LMDE forum would be at least something...

Return to “LMDE Archive”