Debian live 506 KDE

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colyn

Debian live 506 KDE

Post by colyn »

I downloaded the Debian live 506 kde ISO last night and ran it for a couple of hours. I noticed though it had the KDE 3.5 desktop version which by the way I do like. If I were to install it will it install that version or will it install KDE 4??

I have a spare computer without a OS which I plan to install it to. Any issues I need to be aware of running 3.5 with Debians current stable (506) release.

I've even considered replacing KDE 4 with 3.5 once Mint 10 KDE final is released..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Debian live 506 KDE

Post by tdockery97 »

Since it is Lenny, you can probably expect it to install 3.5. If you haven't tried KDE 4.5.3 I think you might be pleasantly surprised at the improvement over 4.4
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

tdockery97 wrote:Since it is Lenny, you can probably expect it to install 3.5. If you haven't tried KDE 4.5.3 I think you might be pleasantly surprised at the improvement over 4.4
I don't plan to install Debian on my primary machine but will install on my spare more as a learning tool. I have LMDE installed on one of my laptops and quiet like it..

I currently have 4.4.5 on my Mint 9 KDE desktop. Do you know if 4.5.3 will be available in Mint 10?
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Debian Squeeze (Lenny's successor) should be released any time now, and it will have KDE4, but Lenny still only uses KDE3. Debian focuses on stability, and at the time of release, KDE4 was not at a level they would accept.

If you install 506, and later upgrade it to Squeeze, you will end up with KDE4 instead of KDE3.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

colyn wrote:I currently have 4.4.5 on my Mint 9 KDE desktop. Do you know if 4.5.3 will be available in Mint 10?
I doubt it. KDE 4.5.3 was just released, and Ubuntu and Mint lag behind the newest a bit (most likely so that they can test and ensure stability). I downloaded a weekly Debian KDE Testing snapshot, and after installing I upgraded to KDE 4.5.2. Now it's up to .3
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Chat about Linux”