LMDE or Debian as File Server?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kbkatz1

LMDE or Debian as File Server?

Post by kbkatz1 »

I want to create a File Server for my network and I am considering using LMDE or just Debian.
Criteria:
1. File Server
2. Fairly light system requirements
(will be using a 1 Ghz processor, about 768 RAM, 20G HDD for file system, and an External USB 250 GB HDD for shared files)
3. Would like it to "Power On" upon access and "auto-hibernate" when not in use
4. Want it to be "headless" (no keyboard, mouse, or monitor) once it is up and running

Restrictions
5. None. Other than I consider myself a little better than novice, not afraid to use CLI :wink:
6. I do not require any extra software, i.e. Open Office or Firefox etc.

I have researched:
7. http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ and http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06/05 ... n_server/1 and http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06/05 ... n_server/1

A step by step "how to" would be welcomed.
Thoughts or suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nevius

Re: LMDE or Debian as File Server?

Post by nevius »

Since the system will be headless and used exclusively as a file server I think you are better off using Debian. A default install of LMDE will have a lot of things you don't need and will be more prone to breaking than Debian Stable. If this is something you want to get up and running quickly you can also check out freenas. http://freenas.org/doku.php

Freenas is based on FreeBSD and very simple to set up and administer.
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

Debian or Ubuntu for server duties especially being headless. Debian is probably the better option as it is absolutely rock solid but Ubuntu gets a longer support period with the LTS range (5 years).
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

You don't need the latest goodies for a file server. Debian Stable is the best choice for that, IMO.
vincent

Post by vincent »

There's also the consideration that LMDE is overkill for your purposes, and you'll end up stripping a lot of stuff. Why not just install from a Debian netinst image, and build up from that? You'll only need the base system utilities in Debian, and Samba/NFS...stuff like the X server would be extraneous.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Great information. Definitely leaning towards a Debian install. Does anyone know of a good step-by-step guide I could follow? Will a Debian net-install "talk" me through each step?
agmcclard

Post by agmcclard »

If you are talking about step-by-step instructions for a debian install it is really quite easy. I have always used the easy install distros and never had tried debian, but after using LMDE I decided to burn an iso net image of debian testing and installed it with no problems whatsoever. It may not hold your hand during install but it is not hard at all. If you can set up a server I am sure you can install debian easily. I am using squeeze and I love it. It may not have all the latest and greatest but my main concern is stability. If you go for it make sure you are connected via ethernet not wireless. Debian uses Iceweasel 3.5.15 which is basically firefox but IMO runs much better than the latest versions of Firefox/Iceweasel. I am waiting to see how LMDE matures before I install it and will leave that as is (testing) but debian squeeze is my main OS for now.

Good luck
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

kbkatz1 wrote:Does anyone know of a good step-by-step guide I could follow? Will a Debian net-install "talk" me through each step?
This recent review of Debian 5 Stable ('Lenny') has a bit of an 'install walk-through':

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/11/12/debian-5/2/

So it looks like you can 'pick' what sort of server you want to install.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Good info, I'm going to go with the Debian setup.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

kbkatz1 wrote:Good info, I'm going to go with the Debian setup.
In the 'comments' for the Debian review, one guy mentions how easy it is to convert a 'stable' Debian install to a 'testing' one -- in case you want 'newer' software. Alternatively, it looks like you can install newer versions of apps on a pick-and-chose basis.

I am also interested in installing a Debian server, in place of my (now old) Fedora 10 server (which has served me very well). My challenge is that I would rather not have all the 'down time' during which I am making the switch (I have weather and webcam feeds that other people use).

Once I have a Debian server, I would appreciate the 'rolling' nature of it, so I never have to upgrade again.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “LMDE Archive”