Three Conky questions

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mastery

Three Conky questions

Post by mastery »

Been setting up my Conky for a couple of weeks (off and on, but it's addicting trying to get it perfect!) on my Dell laptop. Two questions I have that I cannot figure out:

1. I'm tracking my battery life. The {battery_percent BAT0} output if working fine, but the {battery_bar 8,50 BAT} output just shows the bar in the correct size, but isn't filling in at all, regardless how much charge I have. Am I missing something on the code for the battery bar, or is there another way to create a bar to track?

2. I'm tracking my HD areas. No matter how I set it up, it gives me the same numbers for space used in each of the folders I'm tracking (root, home, media), even though each has different files/folders inside them. Can somebody point out how my code is incorrect?

Code: Select all

${color1}${font Vibrocentric:size=8}root: ${goto 57}${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /}${goto 140}${fs_free_perc /}% ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,50 /}
${voffset 2}home: ${goto 57}${fs_used /home} / ${fs_size /home}${goto 140}${fs_free_perc /home}% ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,50 /home}
${voffset 2}media: ${goto 57}${fs_used /media} / ${fs_size /media}${goto 140}${fs_free_perc /media}% ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,50 /media}
3. I'd also like to track my entire HD space from Conky. I've got one hard drive, with WinXP on the initial primary, on the C: drive. When I partitioned the HD, I created a 2nd primary for the EXT4 file system, and then a logical area for the swap file. What's the code to go into Conky to show either the entire HD size, or at least the Windows partition information?

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Three Conky questions

Post by ej64 »

mastery wrote: 1. I'm tracking my battery life. The {battery_percent BAT0} output if working fine, but the {battery_bar 8,50 BAT} output just shows the bar in the correct size, but isn't filling in at all, regardless how much charge I have.
Not sure if it's just a typo, it must be BAT0, too.
But there's a bug within conky 1.8.0-1ubuntu1. conky-all_1.8.0-1ubuntu2~ppa1 solves it.
2. I'm tracking my HD areas. No matter how I set it up, it gives me the same numbers for space used in each of the folders I'm tracking (root, home, media), even though each has different files/folders inside them. Can somebody point out how my code is incorrect?
fs_ means file system ...
As long as you didn't set up linux to use separate partitions for / and /home and so on every entry will refer to the same fs and give you the same figures.
3. I'd also like to track my entire HD space from Conky. I've got one hard drive, with WinXP on the initial primary, on the C: drive. When I partitioned the HD, I created a 2nd primary for the EXT4 file system, and then a logical area for the swap file. What's the code to go into Conky to show either the entire HD size, or at least the Windows partition information?
I didn't try that myself, but I think you have to mount your Win partition e.g. on /mnt/Windows and then you can monitor it with fs_free and the like. Entire HD size is totally static, so what's the point monitoring it?

Hope it helps :)
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
mastery

Re: Three Conky questions

Post by mastery »

ej64 wrote: 1. I'm tracking my battery life. The {battery_percent BAT0} output if working fine, but the {battery_bar 8,50 BAT} output just shows the bar in the correct size, but isn't filling in at all, regardless how much charge I have.
Not sure if it's just a typo, it must be BAT0, too.
But there's a bug within conky 1.8.0-1ubuntu1. conky-all_1.8.0-1ubuntu2~ppa1 solves it.[/quote]

Yep, just a typo in the posting here. I'll check out the bug you mentioned and see about upgrading my Conky if need be.
fs_ means file system ...As long as you didn't set up linux to use separate partitions for / and /home and so on every entry will refer to the same fs and give you the same figures.
That makes sense. I just thought you could call with fs_free and the like by pulling up sub-folder paths as well. I'll keep playing with it.
I didn't try that myself, but I think you have to mount your Win partition e.g. on /mnt/Windows and then you can monitor it with fs_free and the like. Entire HD size is totally static, so what's the point monitoring it?
Thanks, I'll have to look into how to do that as well. I'd like to monitor it, as things I download will be transferred for storage to the Windows partition...I have a ton of space there, and I would like to be able to reach them when in XP at another time.
Hope it helps :)
Every little bit does. Thanks for taking the time!

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”