update PlayOnLinux software on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kbkatz1

update PlayOnLinux software on LMDE

Post by kbkatz1 »

trying to update PlayOnLinux (WINE) on my LMDE system. I use PlayOnLinux to run MS Office 2007, it works but doesn't have all of the fonts available such as 'Arial', does anyone know how to add additional fonts? I tried :

Code: Select all

ken@Dell-Dimension ~ $ sudo apt install playonlinux
[sudo] password for ken: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
playonlinux is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
N: Ignoring file 'playonlinux.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
ken@Dell-Dimension ~ $ 
but this doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: update PlayOnLinux software on LMDE

Post by Silent Warrior »

The line about playonlinux.list.save isn't serious. Just see if you have a playonlinux.list in that folder - if you do, it's OK to ignore it. As I will, for now.

Code: Select all

apt install msttcorefonts
I think that's the name of the package you're looking for.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Silent Warrior,
Thanks, that added the additional fonts, the odd thing is Arial is always shown in italics even though I don't have it italicized. Strange but all seems to be working fine so far. As far as the "missing" folders is concerned both playonlinux.save and playonlinux.list do exist.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Hm, no-one stepped up in my absence? Fie! :)

Well, that invalid file (quite different from merely missing or not)... Compare the .list.save (old, backup) to the .list (new). If you see some glaring difference, see if PlayOnLinux or Wine has some community discussion going regarding those bits, and adjust accordingly. If all works, though, removing the .list.save should be comparatively safe - and will at the very least rid you of a prompt about an invalid file.

Return to “LMDE Archive”