How to convert AVI to MP4 for iPod?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GigawareNerd

How to convert AVI to MP4 for iPod?

Post by GigawareNerd »

I'm a bit of a noob to all these video/audio codecs, and containers and stuff. I'm not sure how all of that works. I do know however though, know that iPods can only play back MP4 video codec or whatever, I've got some AVI video files i wish to watch on my iPod, so i'd need to convert them to MP4. I'm not sure if MP4 is like a container or a video codec or whatever. If you need codec specs I'm pretty sure the video codecs of these files are Xvid and not sure about the audio i'm guess its mp3 and the container is AVI i think. I'm not sure too be honest.

So my question is how would i convert these? I was thinking of Avidemux and changing the audio/video stuff on the left side of the window, but i'm not really sure what i'm doing with that. Could i maybe use mencoder? I really haven't a clue. Please help :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: How to convert AVI to MP4 for iPod?

Post by Elisa »

One user from other forums says:
"..Handbrake is a 2 click deal to convert to mp4. Doesn't get much easier. plus there's presets to fine tune things. (psp mode, etc. )
I need to convert .avi to mp4 for iPod viewing. I haven't been able I do that in HandBrake."

And an easy tool but need to run it by wine/PlayOnLinux - http://www.dailytut.com/apple/convert-a ... phone.html

http://www.redkawa.com
http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 554AAOuzUv
GigawareNerd

Post by GigawareNerd »

Thank you, I'll try HandBrake.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Try Arista. It's much more user friendly and it's in the repos.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

There's also Avidemux, which is in the repos as well.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

xiaoa wrote:fist, about ipod video or audio formats , you can read this article.
http://www.aneesoft.com/tutorials/ipod/ ... _supported
second, ipod always can support m4v, .mp4, and .mov . so you should convert AVI to these format.
here, i show a free AVI to Mp4 converter for you, you can have a try!
before posting, please do SOME research!

those are native windows apps and will not run in linux.

for the OP you can try any of these;

VLC
DEVEDE
Avidemux-gtk
Handbrake
ffmpeg
artista
fshot
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

hemimaniac wrote:before posting, please do SOME research!

those are native windows apps and will not run in linux.

for the OP you can try any of these;

VLC
DEVEDE
Avidemux-gtk
Handbrake
ffmpeg
artista
fshot
AFAIK, Handbrake isn't supported in the current version of Gnome.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Sorry to butt in. Is there a program where I can choose file.avi and click convert to file.3gp or file.mp4? I have tried Arista winff and Avidemux and none of them make quick sense to me. They seem to want me to choose a device to convert to and Winff only has Zune for a device. None have Blackberry. All I want is something simple like youtube downloader. Or if you could show me a link to how to use the above. man ffmpeg was long and didn't provide specific examples as far as I could see. Perhaps I over looked it. Thanks.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

The easiest way I've found to do this is to install VLC. Go to the Media menu, select Convert. Then choose which file(s) you want to convert and the new format you want. Then click the Convert button. It's pretty painless.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

thenewguy wrote:The easiest way I've found to do this is to install VLC. Go to the Media menu, select Convert. Then choose which file(s) you want to convert and the new format you want. Then click the Convert button. It's pretty painless.
Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't work on my end yet but I will work on that. I think it is just missing some codecs.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Iriverter. it's in the repos.

http://iriverter.thestaticvoid.com/
iriverter is a cross-platform frontend to mencoder designed to facilitate the conversion of almost any video format to one that is playable on various multimedia players.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Sound”