Romeo + Mint Debian?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rtrev

Romeo + Mint Debian?

Post by rtrev »

Sorry, couldn't find what I wanted by searching, and I'm a newb to Mint.

Wondering how many folks testing Mint Debian also turn on Romeo? Is there any official advice about the wisdom of this?

Related question; if one has enabled Romeo, gotten a few packages, and then wishes to disable Romeo, will things eventually settle themselves out and all will be well? Or has one kind of shot oneself in the foot by doing that?

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Post by msuggs »

I use Romeo and haven't had major problems with it. There was some minor problems with MintMenu when it's icon structure changed (easily fixed) but apart from that it has been smooth sailing. I intend to disable Romeo when Squeeze goes stable and convert my system to a stable squeeze one with backports, so in answer to your last question,
yes you can. If you are happy with recent updates or additions then there is no problem disabling Romeo again.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

omns wrote:I use Romeo and haven't had major problems with it. There was some minor problems with MintMenu when it's icon structure changed (easily fixed) but apart from that it has been smooth sailing. I intend to disable Romeo when Squeeze goes stable and convert my system to a stable squeeze one with backports, so in answer to your last question,
yes you can. If you are happy with recent updates or additions then there is no problem disabling Romeo again.
Thanks! Say, did those minor problems with MintMenu involve all of the icons disappearing? If so, I know it firsthand now. :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm not sure I want to fix it. You get a lot more real estate for favorite items when all the eye candy gets removed.

Or maybe that isn't the same problem.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The icons "disappeared" because the sizing changed to pixels, actually they are still there just really, really tiny
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

rtrev wrote:Thanks! Say, did those minor problems with MintMenu involve all of the icons disappearing? If so, I know it firsthand now. :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm not sure I want to fix it. You get a lot more real estate for favorite items when all the eye candy gets removed.

Or maybe that isn't the same problem.
In ~/.gconf delete the Mint Menu folder, then log out and back in again. Your icons will now be back, then you can adjust the icon size in the menu's preferences
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

omns wrote: In ~/.gconf delete the Mint Menu folder, then log out and back in again. Your icons will now be back, then you can adjust the icon size in the menu's preferences
Oh thanks, they're back now. Appreciate the tip! Cranked them down to 20 pixels and it's perfect.
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Azati Prime »

The icon next to Menu is now sort of a black sun instead of the Mint leaf. Any idea how to fix this?
One other thing that isn't related. I noticed now that the splash screen that comes up on log in has a debian background instead of Mint.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Azati Prime wrote:The icon next to Menu is now sort of a black sun instead of the Mint leaf.
The black sun type thing is the new default menu icon from Mint 10. If you have a copy of the old logo you can set to use it in the menus preferences.
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

Azati Prime wrote:The icon next to Menu is now sort of a black sun instead of the Mint leaf. Any idea how to fix this?
One other thing that isn't related. I noticed now that the splash screen that comes up on log in has a debian background instead of Mint.
It's probably in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu and if its not...
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Azati Prime »

Thanks. It somehow got set to visualisation-logo.png

Return to “LMDE Archive”