IBM Lotus Symphony Beta

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

IBM Lotus Symphony Beta

Post by gman »

IBM Lotus Symphony Beta - Word Processor, Spreadsheets and Presentation, powered by Eclipse. Worth looking at. Does some things that I wish OpenOffice did, in particular placing images in a document via a link instead of embedding actually works as a linked image, that is, if you move the document from a folder with the linked image to another folder with the image in the same path setup, it will change the reference to the image to match the path setrup. For example, if you have a document and image in /home/user/doc and place the image in the document as linked you get a reference such as file:////home/user/doc/imagename.png. Moved the document and file to say /home/user/doc2 and the image link will change to file:////home/user/doc2/imagename.png.

So anyway, may want to check this out. You will need an IBM account to actually download.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotu ... /home.jspa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

I have tried it at work today and the gui is a bit Java-ish, still prefer Open-Office personally.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Might be a Linux/Java thing. On Windows it looks good, no Java-ish look.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

It was the Windows version I tried!
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

I hope IBM doesn't have illusions that this will help Linux users, because I for the life cannot get the things installed on Mint. Whether I try as sudo or normal user I get an install error. Not simple errors mind you, but complicated Java garbage. I guess I will be sticking with Open Office after all.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

I reported the install problem on the IBM Lotus Symphony web site. Here is IBM's response:

The supported configuration are listed in Installation Guide. Other configurations are not supported. We may consider this platform in future plan.

IBM supports RHEL5 and SLED10, no support for other distros at this time.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Looks like they are only interested in supporting corporate Linux, where the money is!

Return to “Software & Applications”