how to customize my desktop

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nate11

how to customize my desktop

Post by nate11 »

I was looking in the lmde forums and i looked at this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=54809
I am really curious on how i can do stuff like this. to start can someone tell me how to get my desktop to show my cpu usage ram etc
i know that that has a debian base but they are both still gnome

thanks
nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zengeek

Re: how to customize my desktop

Post by zengeek »

I've marked the second post as spam.

There's a lot of different widgets/desklets/screenlets that will show that info.

Most people use Conky though. This requires installing conky and writing a special conky script which specifies what info you want and where you want it. The easiest way is to go to Conky Hardcore, or google conky scripts and find one that you like, and copy&paste it into your own conky settings. Obviously you need to install conky first.

Once you've got one up and running you can start fiddling with the settings and adding bits from other peoples scripts or removing bits you don't need.

Once you become a super saiyan, you can write your own scripts for people to copy.
nate11

Post by nate11 »

zengeek wrote:I've marked the second post as spam.

Once you become a super saiyan, you can write your own scripts for people to copy.

good to know :D
thanks
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

You might also, visit the Conky thread in this forum. Seems that all the Linux distro/OS Forums have a Conky thread.

Mint's famous Conky Show-off thread > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=30209

Cruise through the screenshots of others users Conkys and copy and paste a Conky Script you like.

First, go to the Synaptic Manager and install 'conky'
Then copy and paste a selected conky script to your text editor.
Save as .conkyrc You don't have to tell the text editor where to save it - it knows.

To bring your Conky System Monitor to life > in a terminal, simply type conky <enter>

To view your conkyrc script, go to your File Manager and click on 'View' in the toolbar
Then, select 'Show Hidden Files' Then, scroll down until you find the .conkyrc script. Open in your text editor.
Once your Conky is running, any changes you make to the conkyrc script will show up immediately, after you 'save'

I am one of the Admins of a site called: Conky-Pitstop http://conky-pitstop.wikidot.com/

:roll: let's see - did I leave anything out? Oh yeah, you have questions about anything Linux - ask here.
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

nate11 wrote:
zengeek wrote:I've marked the second post as spam.

good to know :D
thanks
There was actually a second post that was just full of ads. They seem to have removed it. Which is why I look crazy, like I'm talking about my own post being spam....

Once you get to super saiyan 4 you can code in binary.
nate11

Post by nate11 »

i tried what vrkalak said and now when i try to run conky i get this message
Conky: missing text block in configuration; exiting
***** Imlib2 Developer Warning ***** :
This program is calling the Imlib call:

imlib_context_free();

With the parameter:

context

being NULL. Please fix your program.

not sure what to do now
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

nate11 wrote:i tried what vrkalak said and now when i try to run conky i get this message
Conky: missing text block in configuration; exiting
***** Imlib2 Developer Warning ***** :
This program is calling the Imlib call:

imlib_context_free();

With the parameter:

context

being NULL. Please fix your program.

not sure what to do now
Not sure, post the conky file and we can try and find if there's anything that calls 'imlib', or passes 'context' to another bit of code.
I've seen conkys that refer to specifc parts of the operators hard drive, so they have to be modified before they work for anyone else, it might be something as simple as that.
Have you tried googling the error message?
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

The example you linked to in your first post , is fairly normal.
The two windows showing are just applications that are running ( a small window in upper left , and a bigger window lower right which is the File Manager.
The desktop background is from Themes which you can get by right-clicking the face of desktop and selecting Themes or Background.
You can customize the panel bars a lot by right-clicking on them and selecting properties and move them to different edges or widen them and add or remove buttons.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”