installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fraxinus_63

installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Post by fraxinus_63 »

I am running PClinuxOS 2009.2. I am very keen indeed to try LMDE and I have been trying to install it in Virtualbox 3.1.2.

I have downloaded an ISO which I know is good (it boots and installs happily on another 'real' machine) but I cannot get it to boot and install virtually, which is what I need most.

When I try to boot from the ISO, after the 'Loading: please wait' message I get a series of message lines like these:

[68:720974] - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s! [modprobe:60]

The screen goes on issuing me with these message for several minutes - then I give up and switch off. I end up stuck with the same error whichever of the top two GRUB menu options I choose (normal boot or compatibility mode).

Any suggestions welcome!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Post by ukbrian »

This video might help you, you can also download and use the .vdi I use
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 82#p320882
ukbrian
fraxinus_63

Re: installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Thanks for replying, ukbrian. I suspect that LMDE does not like the version of VirtualBox (3.1.2) which I am using.

I have managed to install LMDE on a more recent version of VBox on my wife's computer -- but I cannot get the .vdi thus generated to boot cleanly when I attach it to a new applicance on my own VBox. I can export the whole appliance from my wife's setup, but when trying to import it to my own VirtualBox I get various errors (including the claim - untrue! - that the appliance I am trying to import has too many IDE controllers). Sadly, I don't have time at present to upgrade VBox on my own hard-working installation, but if/when I do I shall give LMDE a try.

Return to “LMDE Archive”