Boot Error After Replacing Another Distro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Boot Error After Replacing Another Distro

Post by bob »

I'm currently booting 6 distros over two hard drives and periodically dump one and replace it with another testing distro. Mint is one of three 'permanent' distros that have earned their places.

Unfortunately, after dumping Sabayon for a test run of Blag, Mint fails to completely boot, complaining about the change even though the partition size was not affected. Oddly, typing 'reboot' immediately completes the boot to a desktop, however the other partitions are not accessible.

Along with the cute sayings, there's a warning that a manual fix would have to be done. Just wondering how involved that would be and where to find the affected file.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Check the /etc/fstab in mint to see if they use UUID... if they do replace them with normal devices names such as /dev/hda1..etc.

I had a similar problem and that fixed it.

Clem
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Clem, that did it! Simple as substituting /dev/hdb3 for all the UUID info and a reboot. Not that I don't trust you completely, but I did back up my old fstab, just in case... :lol:
Telkwa

Post by Telkwa »

clem -
Are you saying that a person can edit out that UUID stuff as long as the rest of it's correct? You know what i mean, device and permissions.

My Ubuntu 6.06 install just reports the dev and permissions. Mint and Edgy (I believe) added the UUID information and I've been wondering about that ever since.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Can't speak for every instance, but that sure worked for me. I'm able to complete the boot normally and also go into each partition and access files.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I haven't read about those IDs yet and how to use them... I don't like them too much though and I noticed that they were more volatile than the partitions themselves. I would recommend replacing them with normal devices names.

I "think"... (not sure at all on this one) that Fedora Core 6 is using them as well.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Also: I must have got that from Slackware... I just like configuration files to be straight and easy to read. These IDs are definitely not good in that respect.

Clem,
now I'd better go and read about them before I say more :) If they were introduced to replace /dev/xxx in fstab there's probably a good reason.
Telkwa

Post by Telkwa »

I gave up on a multi-boot experiment after upgrading or changing one distro would screw the other ones.
Read a discussion on this at Ubuntu Forums - something abot the UUID's being introduced so that physical devices could be moved around within a system and the OS would pick up the devices. That might be great for a system administrator but creates hassles for the rest of us who just want to play around with multi-boots.

Return to “Installation & Boot”