Recycle Bin?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Recycle Bin?

Post by plowran »

Hi Guys.
Just wondering how to get the recycle bin on my desktop.
Thanks
Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Simpler than you think :)
Menu>mintDesktop
and tick the right alternative
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

Im lost my man,
I dont see that anywhere
Husse

Post by Husse »

?
Which version do you use - this is for gnome - don't know if it's different in the other versions
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

Cassandra KDE Community Edition
Is the version im using, I finally got my damn iPod working last night so i think the menu icon and the recycle bin are the only 2 things left that are bugging me
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

Hey Husse
I got it on the desktop now I just cant get the icon to change when its full or not....
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

plowran wrote:Hey Husse
I got it on the desktop now I just cant get the icon to change when its full or not....
I'm genuinely curious to know - and others can feel welcome to offer their own opinions - what the advantages of using Trash are, as opposed to just straight-up deleting something?

Before you answer, keep in mind that I'm aware it can be used as a temporary back-up folder - copy it, paste into Trash, *then* delete the original, and if it screws things up, you can always restore the copied item in the Trash.

However, you can also simply back-up said files onto flash drives, or even into separate folders on your machine, rather than use Trash. Why let it be an unnecessary lay-over area for items moving from your machine into the great abyss? How can your Trash ever "get full"?

Seriously, just curious here.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The benefit of trash - and a great one - is that if you delete a file by mistake it's there
I empty my trash before it's too crowded and I consider if any file should not have been deleted
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

you can right click on your panel, select add applet to panel and
choose trash to put the trash icon on your panel in Cassandra kde.

(good spot for it I thought)
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Tzi
Examine the icon - it's probably just a link but if it's the disk itself.....

Return to “Beginner Questions”