What to do once squeeze goes stable?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

What you gonna do once freeze is over?

Will change to squeeze repo and will stick with it for a long time.
15%
Will stick with testing even in the beginning of the unfreeze.
56%
Will stay on squeeze for a while until wheezy gets a little more stable.
15%
Other.
13%

Total votes: 52

ShexNivis

What to do once squeeze goes stable?

Post by ShexNivis »

Hello there,
The Debian project is proud to announce, that its upcoming release Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" has entered the final phase of its development cycle and is nearly in its final form.
http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20101116b

Just want to know what everybody is gonna do, so that newbies like myself can make a decision.
Also I would love the hear why you making that choice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gotjazz

Re: What to do once squeeze goes stable?

Post by gotjazz »

i'll stick with testing. For one sid seems to be pretty stable too nowadays so there's not too much to fear I guess and also hey - separate home and all. it's not too much of a hassle should anything acutally break - which I doubt.

Also - but I haven't been following this recently - wasn't debian going to implement a cut (continuously usable testing iirc) policy?
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Yeah, I just finished the first major Sid DU in a few weeks and it went really well.(384MB altogether). I haven't had a single prob with sid yet (knock on wood lol). Plus even if something does break it gets fixed a lot faster with sid.
@ShexNivis: If you want to go Squeeze you should set your repos before Squeeze goes stable next month otherwise the testing packages could break it.
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

I'm running LMDE on testing, Squeeze on Squeeze, Squeeze on testing, and Sid. I haven't really had anything happen that shouldn't on any of them. I'm going to keep testing each one as they are. I have 1 /home with different profiles so I can easily access my personal data from any OS.
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

If I change repo to squeeze now can I change back to testing after squeeze goes stable?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

gotjazz wrote:i'll stick with testing. For one sid seems to be pretty stable too nowadays so there's not too much to fear I guess and also hey - separate home and all. it's not too much of a hassle should anything acutally break - which I doubt.

Also - but I haven't been following this recently - wasn't debian going to implement a cut (continuously usable testing iirc) policy?
Yeah, I think they have that now. They do a weekly updated Testing iso for KDE, Gnome, XFCE.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I'm getting a little confused now. I've been running LMDE on a test machine for a few months now. With the exception of a small video problem after an earlier update and Giver not working correctly, it has been running flawlessly. Now, after reading all of these posts of what to do and when to do it when Squeeze goes stable, I'm sorta lost. What happens to MY LMDE if I do nothing except continue to install all of the updates (1 through 5) in MintUpdate? Currently I have the following items checked in Software Sources:
Main packages
Upstream packages
Imported packages
Backport packages
Unstable packages (romeo)
Source code

Third-Party Software

Debian testing (Officially supported)
security.debian.org/testing/updates (main conrib non-free)
http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing (main non-free)

If I leave these items alone, will my system roll over to the next testing version of Debian? (With the minty flavor I now enjoy) Or, will it turn my system to Squeeze Stable and just receive security updates and such until Squeeze is no long supported?
Also, with my current list of software sources, does anyone see a conflict that may break my system if indeed my system will roll over to the next version?
Sorry for the confusion, but I've read so many posts now on this subject that I'm not sure what I should do when Squeeze goes stable, if anything. My goal would to have it rollover to the next version without too much breakage. :)

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

you would continue to receive updates of the testing branch of debian which in itself is usually (so I'm led to believe) is quite stable with the same minty flavour
Nottyl

Post by Nottyl »

tdockery97 wrote:
gotjazz wrote:i'll stick with testing. For one sid seems to be pretty stable too nowadays so there's not too much to fear I guess and also hey - separate home and all. it's not too much of a hassle should anything acutally break - which I doubt.

Yeah, I think they have that now. They do a weekly updated Testing iso for KDE, Gnome, XFCE.
I am unable to find any CUT isos. Would you mind linking to it? Thanks.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

well if i understood that correctly (and if it's already in effect) it should affect testing in gerneal so there'd be no specific iso for it.
Bear in mind though, that I am really as uninformed as I say I am so this whole thing might just've been an idea that was floating around a couple of months ago after which nothing ever really happened. I didn't really care so much back then because testing appears to be stable enough for me anyway.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

ShexNivis wrote:If I change repo to squeeze now can I change back to testing after squeeze goes stable?
Leave your repos on testing. Squeeze and testing are the same thing. They both point towards the same repos.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

The thing that attracted me to Linux years ago was the problem solving aspects of the os. That has been diminished as Linux gets more polished, so I find myseIf somewhat bored with most of the prominent systems, I have been using LMDE as my daily driver since September with only a few glitches which were easily fixed, but which kept me entertained.. I just downloaded LM 10 on another partition so I can have a stable system for work and LMDE for fun.
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

omns wrote:
ShexNivis wrote:If I change repo to squeeze now can I change back to testing after squeeze goes stable?
Leave your repos on testing. Squeeze and testing are the same thing. They both point towards the same repos.
I meant If I change to squeeze it wont get updated to next testing when freeze is over, so I could wait a while until things cool down then change back to testing.
Is that possible?
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

gotjazz wrote:well if i understood that correctly (and if it's already in effect) it should affect testing in gerneal so there'd be no specific iso for it.
Bear in mind though, that I am really as uninformed as I say I am so this whole thing might just've been an idea that was floating around a couple of months ago after which nothing ever really happened. I didn't really care so much back then because testing appears to be stable enough for me anyway.
As far as I read its only a discussion(http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56027)
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

ShexNivis wrote:
omns wrote:
I meant If I change to squeeze it wont get updated to next testing when freeze is over, so I could wait a while until things cool down then change back to testing.
Is that possible?
Yes it is possible. My Sid install is fine and testing will only get Sid material so nothing major should happen when testing becomes wheezy. Although having said that there is always the risk so if you are more comfortable playing it safe then by all mean do so.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Carl wrote:you would continue to receive updates of the testing branch of debian which in itself is usually (so I'm led to believe) is quite stable with the same minty flavour
Thanks Carl. That is what I was hoping for.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Personally I would stick with Squeeze but I'd imagine a vast majority will stick with testing as development will focus on maintaining that more effectively. Alternatively you could look at a distro that will stick with Squeeze once released. Something like CrunchBang comes to mind in that scenario.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

My though is to go on with Testing. But i have a separate partition (Debian Squeeze) as my backup in case that something goes very wrong.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

Hello everyone,

I don't really understand all of the "Squeeze" to "Testing" Switcherooing that is being recommended in this thread and elsewhere. After installing LMDE, I promptly switched my repositories from "Testing" to "Stable" and I had about 8 updates to install. I did this after having a Google at the path packages follow on their way to a new release. This is my understanding of the path Debian packages travel:

"Unstable" -> "Testing" -> "Stable" -> Final Release (Currently Squeeze).

Wouldn't being in "Stable" give the exact same result as switching back and forth from "Squeeze" to "Testing?" My system is working wonderfully by the way...
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

nope - "stable" is currently still lenny. squeeze is testing now and will be stable in a month or so.

Return to “LMDE Archive”