Is it possible to revert after an upgrade?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
leonbnu

Is it possible to revert after an upgrade?

Post by leonbnu »

My LMDE is screwed up after a careless "dist-upgrade". Somehow, X couldn't start again and lots of unmet dependencies. The whole system is a mess now. Is it possible to revert back or switch back to testing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Is it possible to revert after an upgrade?

Post by vincent »

Are you saying that you switched your repos to point to Sid/unstable? In that case, no, there is no easy way to revert from unstable to testing.
leonbnu

Post by leonbnu »

vincent wrote:Are you saying that you switched your repos to point to Sid/unstable? In that case, no, there is no easy way to revert from unstable to testing.
yeah, forgot to comment out the unstable deb source in the sources.list before upgrade..... :(
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Backup, backup, backup.

I recently copied some files to what turned out to be a defective USB thumb drive, then deleted them temporarily from the internal drive. When I went to copy the files back, I discovered that some were unreadable. Restored from a backup made 24 hours earlier, no drama.
leonbnu

Post by leonbnu »

Now, I really wish Linux Mint team could write a apt-get wrapper to force a restore checkpoint by default before each upgrade.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

With apt preferences aka apt-pinning it can be possible to downgrade packages.

But if you can't get into X ?

I hope you have a separate home partition.

Return to “LMDE Archive”