HOWTO: Installing Google Chrome in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CDS

Re: HOWTO: Installing Google Chrome in LMDE

Post by CDS »

It seems too much complicated for new user of LMDE. Why doesn't it make easy-open,click, done! This headache makes me give up LMDE. Installation of new software isn't easy like other version of linux. Virtual box also didn't work when I installed as soon as LMDE is out. It is not cup of tea for new users.
cliste

Post by cliste »

This really isn't a problem anymore. Chromium is available in the software manager now :)
knireis

Post by knireis »

CDS wrote:It seems too much complicated for new user of LMDE. Why doesn't it make easy-open,click, done! This headache makes me give up LMDE. Installation of new software isn't easy like other version of linux. Virtual box also didn't work when I installed as soon as LMDE is out. It is not cup of tea for new users.
I downloaded virtualbox for lenny 32 bit from the virtualbox.org website and it installs fine in lmde.
CDS

Post by CDS »

Chrome software is there, Virtualbox works! Somebody also explained how to install downloaded softwares.Sounds promising. I have got LMDE that I installed in USB. That LMDE ISo was downloaded as soon as it was out. Do you think I should download new ISO or is it the same as before without any change? I am more convinced after reading the forum.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

CDS wrote:is it the same as before without any change?
That is correct.
CDS

Post by CDS »

Thank you for the information. I am back to LMDE now. I downloaded chrome, installed it, but still hiding viewing from it. Anyway, I got chromium as you guys pointed out. It works. Update of software also works (about 500+). It took me from morning till evening. So far so good. I am happy again. I will explore more from now. Thanks forum members.
D
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

omns wrote:There are couple different ways to achieve this task. The following are terminal and GUI based methods

Install via terminal

In a terminal run the following commands

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following entry to the list.
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

Save and exit gedit

Now run the following command

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

for the unstable development version adjust the the above to

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install google-chrome-unstable

Alternatively you can open synpatic, reload the repositories then search for and install google-chrome

Install via GUI

Download the 32 bit deb for Google Chrome from here

By default LMDE does not come with Gdebi so you will need to install it. Do this in synaptic or by running this command in a terminal

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gdebi

Now that Gdebi is installed you can right click on the installer deb that you downloaded and choose open with Gdebi Package Installer

Allow Gdebi to install the package in the usual way. You will see a warning message at the end of the install. This can be safely ignored.

A couple of extra hints

If when updating your system in the future you get an error message about the chrome repos not being able to be verified. Run the following command in a terminal(This may only apply to the GUI method)

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -

Icon disappears from my favourites menu

To ensure that this doesn't occur, right click on the Mint Menu and choose Edit menu.

In the menu editor that appears check the Debian menu item so that it will appear in the all applications menu.

Use the Google Chrome icon that appears in the Debian sub-menu to add it to you favourites menu.

Enjoy :)

Edit: also added to the Mint Community tutorials http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/193
Very useful. Thanks
CDS

Post by CDS »

@omns
Thank you. I got chrome, chromium, my dictionary shown now. This is great. I started loving LMDE.
ronandiver

Post by ronandiver »

Chrome v Chromium...are they one and the same,is one better/faster than the other and will they both get updates through Linux Mint 9's updated manager ??
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

ronandiver wrote:Chrome v Chromium...are they one and the same,is one better/faster than the other and will they both get updates through Linux Mint 9's updated manager ??
Chrome is the Google release while Chromium is the open-source version and pretty much the same thing. Chromium will update through the update manger while Chrome will update if you have added the Google Chrome repos.

hth :)
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

How to set Google Chrome as the default browser?
zole052

Post by zole052 »

bugmenotprettyplz wrote:How to set Google Chrome as the default browser?
Menu > Preferences > Preferred Aplications
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

But that doesn't remove the line inside Chrome asking about the default browser option.

Will it work anyways?
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

bugmenotprettyplz wrote:But that doesn't remove the line inside Chrome asking about the default browser option.
Just choose the option for Chrome to not ask that question again.
mfdemicco

Post by mfdemicco »

omns wrote:
ronandiver wrote:Chrome v Chromium...are they one and the same,is one better/faster than the other and will they both get updates through Linux Mint 9's updated manager ??
Chrome is the Google release while Chromium is the open-source version and pretty much the same thing. Chromium will update through the update manger while Chrome will update if you have added the Google Chrome repos.

hth :)
I gave up on Chromium because it's often not updated regularly in the repository (most likely due to the Debian freeze). It seems to be kept up to date in the Ubuntu editions, though.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm something else - isn't chrome itself being a bit behind atm? http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/ the beta and stable updates from 4 days ago are still not on google's own debian repo.
Or was this a windows only release? if so the blog should've said so....
(just being impatient here because this is where I can switch to stable with having switched from dev to beta before)
myyk

Post by myyk »

isn't the easiest way to install google chrome this:
search for google chrome in google, click on link that says download google chrome.... download deb file and just dpkg -i google* ????
mads

Post by mads »

myyk wrote:isn't the easiest way to install google chrome this:
search for google chrome in google, click on link that says download google chrome.... download deb file and just dpkg -i google* ????
:lol: You should be careful pointing out the easiest ways. Last time someone did that was approximately 2000 years ago.
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

I completely agree with the easiest way. Solutions at the begining of this topic are too complicated.
fertorresf

Post by fertorresf »

Why doesn't just install Chrome using the .deb available?

$ dpkg -i .....deb?

I did it with no problems...

Return to “LMDE Archive”