Sysv-rc update error (workround available)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
viking777

Sysv-rc update error (workround available)

Post by viking777 »

Can anyone translate this for me?
Screenshot.png
Better still can anyone tell me what to do about it (or even if it matters, since my install is working quite normally - although I haven't rebooted yet today)

The error comes up after applying the latest LMDE updates, and btw running dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc just regenerates the error message.

Also the link in the debian wiki says:
The /etc/init.d/X script is lacking the LSB fields. Adding them to the script header or as a override file in /etc/insserv/overrides/X would solve it.
Like we all know how to do that :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kruijf

Re: Sysv-rc update error

Post by kruijf »

I had the same error and dont know what to do whit it.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

kruijf wrote:I had the same error and dont know what to do whit it.
I just had a look on launchpad and it has already been reported as a bug.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Then the solution whil come soon i think.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I have the same message on one machine running LMDE. On another machine the update is waiting for me to "Migrate legacy boot sequencing to dependency-based sequencing". The only difference as far as I can tell is that the second machine accessed the gtkrc file located in /usr/share/themes/Shiki-Wise/gtk-2.0 and made note that option "gradients" is no longer supported and will be ignored. The first machine did not make mention of that file. Both machines were set up the same and both gtkrc files are identical. My understanding is that the sysv-rc update will change the way in which initscripts are sequenced during boot time?? Since I don't know how LMDE is put together, I'm not sure if I want to allow this change to take affect, as it seems to be non-reversible. Can anyone shed a little more light on the subject? Will allowing this change to occur mess up my LMDE?
det4100

Running Mint Debian
viking777

Post by viking777 »

det4100 wrote: Can anyone shed a little more light on the subject? Will allowing this change to occur mess up my LMDE?
At the present moment in time I don't think you could allow it whether you wanted to or not - leastways, I can't, that is why it has been registered as a bug. As for the future you probably won't be given any choice as to whether you wan't to apply it or not as it has been decided way up in the Debian hierarchy that it is a good idea. To shed a little more light on it I can best refer you to the Debian wiki entry:
Dependency based boot sequence

It is possible to convert Debian to order the boot sequence using the LSB fields in the header of each init.d script. This will get rid of several bugs in the current boot sequence, and make it easier to keep the sequence correct.

The feature was proposed at debconf in 2002, and has been worked on since before 2006, and was announced on debian-devel-announce 2008-01-17. A status update message was sent 2008-03-16 and 2008-11-30. The default in Debian was changed to dependency based boot sequencing 2009-07-27, and an updated announcement about the plans for the boot system was sent out 2009-09-05. The default in Debian was changed to run scripts in parallel 2010-05-14 and an announcement was sent on 2010-05-21.

Advantages

Did you ever need to insert a init.d scripts Y before init.d scripts Z and after init.d script X, where both Z and X is started using boot sequence number 20 (as in 20X and 20Z)? Adding your script as 20Y would not cut it, because you need Z to start before X. To do this, in Debian you currently need to talk to the maintainer of packages with scripts Z and X, asking one of them (or both) to move their script into a different number. Dependency based boot sequencing make it possible for each package maintainer to specify the dependencies of its scripts, and leave the number allocation to the dependency resolver.
So there you are, I hope it is now as clear to you as it is to me. As clear as Mississippi mud on a foggy day :lol:
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Same error here too.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

I'm guessing this error will get more 'popular' yet... :wink:

I'll copy the full text of the error here for people searching for different strings:

Debconf error: Configuring sysv-rc

Code: Select all

Unable to migrate to dependency-based boot system

Tests have determined that problems in the boot system exist which prevent migration to dependency-based boot sequencing:

insserv: warning: script 'K01mintsystem' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'mintsystem' missing LSB tags and overrides,

If the reported problem is a local modification, it needs to be fixed manually. If it's a bug in the package, it should be reported to the BTS and fixed in the package. See http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot for more information about how to fix the problems preventing migration.

To reattempt the migration process after the problems have been fixed, run "dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc".
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I allowed the migration to take place on the machine that had no error and then rebooted. So far I see no difference and have no errors or any other problems with Mint tools or start-up programs. I'm guessing that the migration will not occur on the other machine with the error. From what I see, this migration can be done at a later date once the bug is fixed.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

For me, the update worked fine on two installs which had Romeo enabled, and failed on a netbook which didn't have Romeo enabled.

No clue if that's relevant, but aside from the actual hardware that's the only thing I can think of that's different.

Maybe I'll enable Romeo on the netbook and try it again.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Good call rtrev. I just checked the Software Sources on the machine with the error. backport and romeo are not enabled. They are enabled on the other machine that did not have the error.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Confirmed. Enabling the Romeo repository and updating, then running the dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc allowed the update to run on the netbook.

Now I guess I'll find out if there is any downside to enabling Romeo. :D
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Yep, I did the same thing and it seems to run fine.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

det4100 wrote:Yep, I did the same thing and it seems to run fine.
Great! But a question for you if you don't mind.

You mentioned having backports enabled. I'd been under the impression that there would be no backports for a rolling distribution. Am I misunderstanding backports? Since we don't have "versions" in LMDE, or so I understand, can there ever be backports?
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

What is the downside, if any, to simply enabling Romeo as a one-time-only event, then running the 'dpkg-reconfigure sysv -rc' command, then disabling Romeo afterwards?
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

rtrev wrote: You mentioned having backports enabled. I'd been under the impression that there would be no backports for a rolling distribution. Am I misunderstanding backports? Since we don't have "versions" in LMDE, or so I understand, can there ever be backports?
You may be correct. My Linux knowledge is not that great. More of a user than anything else. I was under the impression that security updates from "unstable" would come through backports. I also may not have a grasp of the difference between all of the repositories and their functions.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

malligt wrote:What is the downside, if any, to simply enabling Romeo as a one-time-only event, then running the 'dpkg-reconfigure sysv -rc' command, then disabling Romeo afterwards?
Okay, from my vast experience of 5 weeks using Mint, :oops: -- I'd guess that there would be no problems with doing as you suggest. After all, the stuff in Romeo is destined to eventually land in the main repositories, so you would eventually end up with the same stuff anyway, albeit more debugged versions.

On the other hand, this minor "breakage" we just experienced suggests to me that Romeo will be trying to keep pace with the actual Debian Testing code more closely. To date, zero problems with Romeo enabled, one minor problem without it enabled.

If I had more experience with Mint in general, I'd have a better idea of how "bleeding edge" Romeo is.

My personal feeling at this point is to throw caution to the wind, see how things go, and then re-think things if a pattern of problems emerges. I also have multiple installs of LMDE, so I can upgrade one, see how things look, and then upgrade the rest. I have an emergency backup partition with Mint 10 as a doomsday plan. :wink:

Hopefully a Mint Wizard will pass by soon and give you a better answer.

Bob
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Nice piece of detective work rtrev!
That workround is good for me too.
I'll make a note of that in the thread title.
Thanks.
sumski

Re: Sysv-rc update error (workround available)

Post by sumski »

i got the same error/warning on my Sid machine before a week or two, my workaround whas to delete :D scripts from init.d - they where .depend.boot and .depend.start , not sure it whas a smart thing to do, but so far no sideffects :)

i got the warning about those scripts because i enabled them via BUM ,and it seemed to my at that time , they where to important not to start, but as i said , there wern't sideffects with(out) them
kruijf

Re: Sysv-rc update error (workround available)

Post by kruijf »

this whas the solution for me too.

Return to “LMDE Archive”