How do u install rpm's on mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You need to use alien.. to make a deb out of the rpm.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

No-Aim wrote:Isn't is theoretically posible to build an distro wich can handle rpm's and deb's
You would run into dependency problems :wink: But most distros can easily convert the packages of one format to the other ... e.g. RPM <==> DEB ... better than nothing.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: alien

Post by scorp123 »

cloud wrote:Thank u for the help everyone but i have another problem, alien wont run or install at all. anyone have a idea?
Can you please be more specfic? What did you try? What was the precise error message?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: here u go

Post by scorp123 »

cloud wrote:make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
Sorry, I don't see what this has to do with alien ??? Looks to me like you were trying to compile something? It would really help if you were more specific ... :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: i did what it told me to do and then some

Post by scorp123 »

cloud wrote:root@WarHawk:~# tar -zxvf alien_8.65.tar.gz
tar: alien_8.65.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
root@WarHawk:~# ./alien_8.65.tar.gz
-bash: ./alien_8.65.tar.gz: No such file or directory
root@WarHawk:~# ./alien.pl
-bash: ./alien.pl: No such file or directory
root@WarHawk:~# perl Makefile.PL; make; make install
Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
i dont get how to install it.
OK, first things first: You are a "newbie", right? :lol: Please, don't enter commands if you don't know what they do, OK? You only gonna ruin your system.

Then, let's move to the core of the problem:
Why oh why do you even want to install *.rpm files? What's this all about? Care to tell us a little so we maybe could come up with better suggestions?

Then, as for the alien package: Why don't you just tell synaptic ("Add/Remove Software") to download and install the proper version for you from the repositories ?? Given that you don't yet quite have the level of knowledge I don't think it's a good idea for you to try and manually compile packages ... With all due respect, but you just don't have this knowledge yet and you're almost bound to experience one frustration after the other if you immediately start with such advanced topics :wink:

What is it that you so desperately need to run / download / compile but cannot find in the repos?? Please explain, maybe there is an easier workaround and/or solution for you ... something that will yield better results.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: limewire

Post by scorp123 »

cloud wrote:i want to install limewire
Forget that crap. Take Frostwire instead. Frostwire is a free fork from Limewire, it looks and feels and works absolutely the same. And in the future please tell us right from start what you want :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: frostwire

Post by scorp123 »

cloud wrote: frostwire better
Yes, Limewire gave in to some pressure of the music industry and I think they added some strange content filters, if not even worse stuff to their software. I personally don't trust Limewire anymore. Others felt the same and so created Frostwire which is a free program (free as in free code, free beer and free speech) but other than that absolutely has the same look and feel. Even themes should work, so that the difference between the two is hard to notice. It may be necessary to modify some of your software repos so all dependencies can be downloaded. And there are some minor issues between Frostwire and eye-candy stuff such as Beryl (e.g. a completely white window is displayed). If you run in any of those problems please come back here :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”