What to do once squeeze goes stable?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

What you gonna do once freeze is over?

Will change to squeeze repo and will stick with it for a long time.
15%
Will stick with testing even in the beginning of the unfreeze.
56%
Will stay on squeeze for a while until wheezy gets a little more stable.
15%
Other.
13%

Total votes: 52

guimaster

Re: What to do once squeeze goes stable?

Post by guimaster »

gotjazz wrote:nope - "stable" is currently still lenny. squeeze is testing now and will be stable in a month or so.
Okay so what is the difference between having a system set on "Testing" that is constantly updated and having a system set on "Stable" which is rarely updated? Stable is Lenny now and Stable will be Squeeze in a month. So all of the packages update at one time rather than bit by bit.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

yeah but setting lmde to stable now doesn't really make sense since it's already newer than most packages on that repos. ALso squeeze is soooooo close to being stable it's not like there'd be so much to update between now and then if you just set it to squeeze if you don't want to stick with testing
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I have seen some posts on Debian forums recommend not updating for a month or so even if you are going to stay with testing, as to let bug fixes catch up with packages when testing is unfrozen.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I want it rollin' and will stick with 'testing'.
muse

Post by muse »

Let it roll all night long.
Then install LMDE64.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

OK, as far as i can tell with my current level of knowledge, those kind problems are likely to happen when using the new testing (correct me if you please):
1) kernel related problems
2) graphic card's problems (normally related with kernel)
3)network problems
4) gnome's problems
5) problems related with specific programs
6)grub problems (??)

I can live with (5) cause i am using 2 programs for each work- in fact, i am finding it fascinating to have that kind of choice
I also have 2 kernels available, the default one and liquorix: so maybe i must feel most secure regarding (1) {and in some cases with (2) or (3)}
Finally, i am using gnome and openbox. (Thinking also to try e17 when i find some time). In any case, i m not dependent only in one d. manager.

Is it true as a conclusion that i can feel a bit more safe regarding the above mentioned potential problems? :?: :?:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You have made the right choices already my friend - 2 of everything you mention - kernels, window managers, important programs - WAY TO GO. How I wish I could convince the rest of the linux world about the sagacity of your decisions :lol: (btw you need to add a couple more options to your arsenal - two distros, not one, and two clonezilla images of each distro).

Now to your question.

Debian testing is almost tested to destruction by the time you get it so just stick with it. In fact even Unstable (Sid) has never failed me in the year that I have been running it (OK I have been running Sidux/Aptosid really but that is based on Sid as the name suggests) and the fact that I am not running it any more has nothing to do with its stability, I just felt that 5 distros is one too many.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

@viking
Thanks very much for your answer but...
the security thing is (or is not) a sequence. I am not installing things for that kind of "security" reasons.
I have tested some windows managers and i ended with openbox. I do like openbox, i tried to customize it a bit (i learned some things from this procedure) and sometimes i login Openbox, sometimes in Gnome.
I m running exlusively Liquorix 2.6.35 for some weeks now - i guess i am not the only one. It seems better to me. Is there not a chance that a different kernel (2.6.36) might cause some problems? Or, if anyone installs a new, different kernel, the best strategy is to delete the old?
Two applications is a good idea. If you try the the search "Exaile" in this forum, you will find that Exaile was not working in Testing for a couple of months of so -till a fix was announced. So, what was the proper decision? Stick for Exaile and wait for the fix or searching for an alternative? Or to cry and accuse LMDE "look! my favorite program is broken".

The purpose of my previous post is to specify the nature of the potential problems. They are many people talking about those things and i think is better to name a few things than a ghost-talking. I am not at all an experience Linux-user so someone out there can specify this better.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Nobody can possibly predict what, if any, problems might arise in the future. It was tried once before, not so far from you in fact, so you could always travel to Delphi and ask there :lol:

Seriously though this is a quote from the LMDE home page:
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
It is perfectly possible that I am not understanding this properly myself, but I don't think so. This is the contents of my sources.lst file:
deb http://packages.linuxmint-fr.net/ debian main upstream import
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
Unless you have modified that file, yours is probably similar. You see from the entries here that it doesn't matter at all what happens to squeeze since you are not tracking the squeeze branch, you are, and will continue, to track the testing branch of Debian.

I believe that is what Clem intends and that is what you and everyone else should do. If you do otherwise you will not be running LMDE but a Mintified version of Debian Stable.

Return to “LMDE Archive”