hp laserjet 4 multiple copies

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnnycanuck

hp laserjet 4 multiple copies

Post by johnnycanuck »

I have Mint 10 installed. I have an HP laserjet 4 with jetdirect installed. When I installed the printer I used network printer -> app socket/hp jetdirect and entered the IP of the printer. Then I chose Laserjet 4 as the model and selected “hp laserjet 4 cups + gutenprint v5.2.6 simplified [en]”, the recommended driver. Printing a test page produced infinite copies (I had to shut the printer off and clear the resulting paper jam). Next I tried the “laserjet 4 foomatic/lj4dith [en]” driver. This printed only 1 page but only one side of the document (as if the document was cut in half lengthwise). I then had my buddy, who is running straight Debian (Lenny), attempt the same procedure. The results where exactly the same – which leads me to think the problem lies in the Debian base and how it handles my printer. BTW – the printer works flawlessly in Windows and has never given me a problem with earlier versions of Linux (including Mint 8). I should explain that I'm a bit of a distro hopper (tho no Ubuntu) and this is the first time I've run into this issue. Not sure if anybody can help as the problem appears to be related to Debian but I'll take any suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnnycanuck

Re: hp laserjet 4 multiple copies

Post by johnnycanuck »

I have found a work-around. I won't call it a solution because I'm not using the proper driver. I switched the driver to the laserjet 4L foomatic driver and all seems well. To verify, I had my buddy (who runs straight Debian) test the procedure and he was also successful. My laserjet is NOT a 4L, but the drivers are similar enough that it works.
teslaedison

Re: hp laserjet 4 multiple copies

Post by teslaedison »

My LaserJet 4P gave hit or miss results when fed by a USB to Parallel cable connector.

I'd shifted over to that rig when I needed to print from a laptop.

When you get to HP's own ancient drivers web support you'll find that HP never wrote their code for anything other than the old parallel printer port. ( of Centronics fame )

So, for anyone that still has a parallel printer port -- you'll get perfect results with HP's official last release -- IF you have a parallel port connection to your LaserJet printer.

This dictum holds for essentially all Ubuntu/ Linux Mint operating systems.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... index.html

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... erjet.html

This solution didn't even require Terminal/ Command Line efforts.

The drivers are factory originals from HP -- machine by machine. No fussing around.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”