Some requests

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

It's planned. In fact it was even planned for Barbara, and then for Bea. Since it wasn't that important and we never got it to work, it's not in these releases..I'll try to squish it in Bea before the final release, and anyway there's no way it's not going to be in Bianca.

As you can see on these screenshots, I like the home folders myself, and I do use emblems. I usually have "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", "Downloads", "Projects" and "Music". I used to prefix them with "My" but I don't do that anymore.. as it makes them annoying when using the terminal.

Also, I bookmark them in Gnome, so that you can easily access them from anywhere and save docs into them.

http://www.linuxforums.org/images/artic ... e_6/07.jpg

http://www.linuxforums.org/images/artic ... _10/01.png

http://www.linuxforums.org/images/artic ... 007/00.jpg

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Deleting them is even easier.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The point of Linux Mint is not to convert Windows users. If it does then great, but it's not its purpose.

The purpose is to make the best possible GNU/Linux desktop distribution, something comfortable to use for people who just want to browse the net, check their email, write some letters, listen to their songs and watch some DVDs. That's the real purpose.

If there are some good ideas in Windows then we'll use them (the documents folders for instance) but if things are better done in the Linux world, we'll learn from them too.

The idea of having these folders in the home dir actually comes from Mandriva, and I'm not considering it to make Windows user's life easier, but because I believe it enhances the desktop.

If something is good we'll use it. It doesn't matter if it comes from KDE, from another distro or even from Windows. The purpose is to make the desktop better, so we're using what's best, wherever it comes from.

Those folders, once they have emblems on them and they're bookmarked in Gnome, really make it easier to organize, access and save files. The same way your home is a "place", you music, videos, downloads, projects.. files in general are "places" too and you can access them easily wherever you are.

Windows kind of understood that with their "My Documents"... Mandriva understood it better, and there's no reason why we shouldn't consider it.

But again, the purpose is to enhance the desktop and our own idea of what it should be.. not to please Windows users with something that tries to be similar to what they already have.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

ciao Nikky, come stai ? :)

Of course, these folders "belong" to the user.. not to root. Deleting them couldn't be simpler.. just open your home folder, select them and press Delete.

Gnome already provides all the basic things for burning data or ISOs on CDs. And there's some application in Mint to make audio CDs as well.

Having XGL working out of the box will be the main purpose of Bianca.

Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

i really think thers a gnome burning app thats been overlooked, and thats brasero (previously called bonfire), its in the repos and its sooo easy :) it pwns IMHO.
and as for amarok i think we should include the latest listen instead.
amarok just feels so out of place on a gnome desktop.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Not true Amarok

Post by scorp123 »

Tiptup300 wrote:Your kidding?
I think that was Hungarian humour? :lol:
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

listen >> amarok >>rhythmbox n00bz rofl j00 all r t3h rong!!!

:D
but seriously, rhythmbox really needs some work done to it and can someone tell me what amarok has that everyone thinks the alternative lack?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

hairy_Palms wrote: can someone tell me what amarok has that everyone thinks the alternative lack?
It's the "one-stop-shop" feeling. Want to listen your MP3 collection? Use Amarok. Want to listen to various music streams? Use Amarok. Want to know what the heck you're listening to? Amarok knows it and is so kind and shows you all info in a nice context tab. Want to find one of your MP3's really quick? Ask Amarok. Its collection manager and various possibilities to show you what's on your disk just rocks. Want to convert Windows users who keep getting on your nerves with BS like "there is no iTunes for Linux!"? Show them Amarok. It just makes them STFU. I converted some people who only and purely converted to Linux because they couldn't stand the thought of not having that piece of super-cool software on their HD ... even if it means changing to a different OS altogether :lol: Now they are happy, no more creepy activity from MS Media Player, no more DRM, no more viruses, no more spyware. People keep crying for BS like "Linux needs a killer app ... " ... Amarok is just that IMHO, it blows any audio player on Windows out of the water and the blue sky.

And Amarok is total newb-friendly. You don't need to be Einstein in order to figure out how it works. :wink:
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

listen has all those features :)
and it has integration with gnomes keyboard shortcuts options.
rhythmbox may lack them but exaile and listen do it all! and listen give people the option of hiding anything they dont want, dont want a wikipedia tab? dont have one, dont want lyrics dont have that, if you want a webradio tab or a podcast tab have them if not dont! so much more user friendly imho :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

hairy_Palms wrote:and listen give people the option of hiding anything they dont want
Yes, and then they show up here in the forum and ask desperately how to get the stuff back :wink:

Just kidding. Isn't free software just great? All the choices you get? 8)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

nah everythings shown by default except ipod which doesnt show up untill ones available :D but yea if this thread is regarding the default player i think it should be something that integrates better with gnome :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

For those of you who wonder what a "killer-app" is:

- Theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_app

- Practice: Applications->Sound and Video->Amarok

PS: You got it wrong about Linux Mint... Amarok doesn't try to integrate with Gnome... it's Gnome that tries to integrate around Amarok !

Clem :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”