LMDE - Broadcom BCM4312 - how to make permanent?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

LMDE - Broadcom BCM4312 - how to make permanent?

Post by TBABill »

So I followed the instructions here to setup my wireless and it works beautifully: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=57056

My question is how to make this a permanent fix? I installed the bigmem kernel from Synaptic because my laptop has 4GB of RAM and I wanted it all recognized. So I was forced to go through all the steps in the link again. Will this happen each time the kernel is updated in LMDE? Is there any way to make the changes permanent and stick to any installed kernel since this is a rolling release?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gramps50

Re: LMDE - Broadcom BCM4312 - how to make permanent?

Post by Gramps50 »

Yes anytime you change the kernal you will have to reinstall the BC drivers. Now with that said Broadcom has released the drivers to open source so they should be included in the kernal, when this will happen I can't say.

Mint isn't like Ubuntu as it doesn't change the kernal in the normal life cycle for the most part unless a big security hole is found. The update kernals are available, but as a general rule it they are not recommended for update. I think this is why Mint seems so much more stable that Ubuntu and has less problems.

Plus I don't think Debian is big on new kernals every week or two so the kernal changing all the time with LMDE probably won't be a problem.

I have been using LMDE on one of my laptops since it was 1st released and have not had to reinstall the driver yet.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE - Broadcom BCM4312 - how to make permanent?

Post by TBABill »

Good point. I didn't think about how slowly Debian moves to new kernels. I'm used to other distros moving to newer kernels more quickly I suppose. No problem reinstalling the driver when necessary, just wish it could carry from one kernel to the next (like in PCLinuxOS, which is also a rolling distro).

Return to “LMDE Archive”