Hi there

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nairobie

Hi there

Post by nairobie »

My name is Samuel and I'v been interested in Linux for quite some time now. It all started about 5 years ago when I got the chance to get a Knopix CD. I was instantly interested in how something could run from my CD drive better then my Windows could. But continued school and games kept me on Windows. I kept reading about how the development was going with different software and distributions sins then. My first real incentive to try Linux more in depth was with a Ubuntu 9.10 CD I had shipped to me, it didn't get much further then a few boots into Live mood. It was far to broken om my computer to do much more. With Ubuntu 10.04 I had made some upgrades in the way of a 3g modem which was quite impossible to get running, which in the end lead to me not installing it fully, until i found an online fix. The install worked great, especially sins I'm used to the whole day of getting things functional that the Windows world brigs with it. The fix didn't work to good, or at all really, so I uninstalled it after just a few hours of mahjong play. Coincidently that broke the MBR which would constitute as the first time iv ever "broken" a computer in 17 years of using them.

I first learnt about Linux Mint about a year ago, it looked really promising and i decided i would in the future give it a try. A while ago I decided it was time to move and just got around to doing the cleaning involved in moving, more as a brake from shoveling stuff in to boxes then anything else, and of course my computer was by the time running like molasses so it to was in for a cleaning. Thinking while I copied my user data(broken ssd = extreme waiting time, it took me 6 hours before I switched to a working one, they were in the bottom box in the pile of unmarked ones) I figured out that it ones again was time to dabble in Linux. The question came on which distribution it was going to be. I looked at OpenSuse, Mandrake/how ever you spell the fork, because the KDE integration. Reading up on them made me a bit unsure though, then I remembered(exact strain of thought went more "What was that candy one again?") Mint. I read about 40 reviews and about 3 in the morning started to download the iso. During that time I'v changed my mind regarding the DE, mostly because in Mint gnome doesn't look like a little woodland creature.
Today I burnt the iso, formated my computer, I just now got XP to a state of function, quite a feat for me given that it was years sins I worked with a 20GB space restriction. I just(takes about 3 minutes before i can get connected and 5ish minutes to write this up) concluded a test with the Live DVD and are now embarking into the world of Linux, as soon as I figure out where i cleaned the DVD away to.

I'm quiet poor when it comes to writing about myself. A theme helps but i distance myself a bit to much imho. And please do excuse my use of the English language, dyslexic swede whom were more interested in everything but grammar usually don't equal a good typist. On the positive side I'm used to having to repeat myself so if anythings unclear don't be afraid to ask. Which also holds true for most any other questions as well. And now time to get installing :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Hi there

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to Linux Mint. have fun in the new world of Linux mint. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
jesica

Re: Hi there

Post by jesica »

Hallo, welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”