Changing the gdm3 login theme

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xhytex

Changing the gdm3 login theme

Post by xhytex »

Hi,
I have been very pleased with LMDE so far but I was wondering if it is possible to change the theme on the gdm3 login (e.g. background, gtk theme and icons). I originally tried the Ubuntu method of:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
Then logging out, changing the settings and logging back in again and running:

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop
But the background and gtk theme didn't seem to change.

I then tried editing /etc/gdm3/greeter.conf-defaults and then running:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
I then did a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to go back to the login screen and the login screen had changed to take account of the new settings.

However, after a restart it is back to the default green LMDE gdm3 theme. I have tried it a couple of times and each time the /etc/gdm3/greeter.conf-defaults file gets overwritten by the default. Is there anyway I can stop this from happening to make my changes permanent?

Thank you in advance. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Changing the gdm3 login theme

Post by proxima_centauri »

Perhaps this link can be of some assistance -> http://www.khattam.info/howto-change-gd ... 11-14.html
mads

Post by mads »

Hi!

Try the suggestion given in the third post here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=59359
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

Same problem, and the above fixes don't work here. It appears that /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults is being replaced/overwritten on every restart. I even re-installed gdm3, but no joy - same results.
mads

Post by mads »

You can copy the picture you want to use to "/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint", and rename it to Talento-1.jpg.
Although this approach is not optimal, but it does the job. :)
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

And this failed as well?
[HOWTO] Change GDM 3 Theme and Wallpaper wrote:I opened the file /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config/20_debian in a text editor as root and changed the line containing “/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename” and gave the full path to the new location of wallpaper. I also changed the line containing “/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme” and wrote the name of theme instead of the default (in my case it was Clearlooks and I changed it to an installed theme Equinox). Then I saved the file and logged out to see the changes.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

Yes, that failed as well. On this box, /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config/20_debian is a link to /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults. Change one, change both. Either way, it's re-written on every restart.

Yeah, the copy and rename is a partial fix. The rest of the changes aren't there, but at least the GDM background will look the way I want.

I don't see the GDM all that long or anything, and it's no deal breaker in my case for LMDE. I have learned/remembered more about linux in the short time LMDE has been out than I did with Mint since Felicia. It will most likely be my distro of choice. I'm just stumped by whatever is overwriting any changes I make to /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

OK, I'm just a bit dense, it seems. :oops: It appears that I had the solution in my last post, and didn't notice.

I was doing something else, and an idea occurred to me: why not delete /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config/20_debian and replace it with a file containing my desired /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults settings? Lo and behold, success!

Now, I may see problems down the road from this change, but it's working great for now.
xhytex

Post by xhytex »

Hi everyone, apologies for being absent yesterday. Thank you doktordave for finding this workaround and thank you mads for your suggestion. I didn't think about replacing the symbolic link with the file I wanted. It does seem very odd that /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults is getting overwritten on every restart. Although your workaround shows that it is in fact /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config/20_debian that is being read by gdm3. Maybe 20_debian shouldn't be a symbolic link? Anyway thank you! :D
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

It was just an odd idea - I get WAY more from everyone here than I can give. I'm glad it's working, but I'd sure be a lot happier if I could figure out why the greeter.gconf-defaults file keeps being overwritten. Or even where the info is that is being written to it. This only fixes a symptom for now, it's certainly not a "cure".
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

doktordave wrote:It was just an odd idea - I get WAY more from everyone here than I can give. I'm glad it's working, but I'd sure be a lot happier if I could figure out why the greeter.gconf-defaults file keeps being overwritten. Or even where the info is that is being written to it. This only fixes a symptom for now, it's certainly not a "cure".
Do this as root.

Make changes here:

/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults
Apply the changes:

invoke-rc.d gdm3 reload
Your changes should now persist.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

That didn't work here. The greeter.gconf-defaults is still being overwritten on every restart. The prior fix is still working. Any ideas on what script or program could be causing this? I'm not that knowledgeable on linux, and would like to learn as much as possible if I can.
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

doktordave wrote:That didn't work here. The greeter.gconf-defaults is still being overwritten on every restart. The prior fix is still working. Any ideas on what script or program could be causing this? I'm not that knowledgeable on linux, and would like to learn as much as possible if I can.
Perhaps its a Mint change. I'm running Debian and it works fine. If you set incorrect values it will default to a known working. So, for instance, if there's a typo in your path to the background image, if the theme doesn't exist in /usr/share/themes , and so on.

I'm no expert either, but post the contents of the greeter.gconf-defaults and of the most recent log under /var/log/gdm3/ they've got crazy names. :0-greeter. or some such. Anyway, let's have a look at those and see if there's anything worth seeing.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

I think you're onto something...

Contents of /var/log/gdm3/:0-greeter.log:

** (<unknown>:2847): DEBUG: Client registered with session manager: /org/gnome/SessionManager/Client1
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /var/lib/gdm3/.config/metacity/sessions/10fe87612d7064dff4129152161120988500000028430001.ms: Failed to open file '/var/lib/gdm3/.config/metacity/sessions/10fe87612d7064dff4129152161120988500000028430001.ms': No such file or directory
** (process:2861): DEBUG: Greeter session pid=2861 display=:0.0 xauthority=/var/run/gdm3/auth-for-Debian-gdm-yVlyLe/database

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2859): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2859): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
gdm-simple-greeter[2861]: Gtk-WARNING: /build/buildd-gtk+2.0_2.20.1-2-i386-TNeM25/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gtk/gtkwidget.c:5628: widget not within a GtkWindow
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1800020 (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1800020 (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

** (gnome-power-manager:2860): WARNING **: Failed to send buffer
gdm-simple-greeter[2861]: WARNING: Failed to send buffer

(gnome-power-manager:2860): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(gnome-power-manager:2860): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(gnome-power-manager:2860): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(gnome-power-manager:2860): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(gnome-settings-daemon:2850): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(gnome-settings-daemon:2850): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(gnome-settings-daemon:2850): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2859): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Error enumerating temporary authorizations: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.EnumerateTemporaryAuthorizations() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine session the caller is in
gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.0.
There are no files or folders in /var/lib/gdm3.

Contents of working /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults:

# Use a specific background
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename	/usr/share/backgrounds/custom/dark_rock_63_Mint_Debian_Green-02_1920x1200.png
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_options	stretched

# Theming options
/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme		Mars
/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme		ClearlooksOSX

# Greeter options
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name 	debian-swirl

# Play system beeps - especially the one when the greeter is ready
/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds		true

# Some other possible options
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_enable		true
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_text		Welcome
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons	false
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list		false

# The lower panel doesn't work with the compositor
/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager		false

# Prevent the power management icon from showing up
/apps/gnome-power-manager/ui/icon_policy		never
Contents of /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults after being overwritten:

# Use a specific background
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename	/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/default_background.jpg
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_options	stretched

# Theming options
/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme		Mint-X
#/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme		Mint-X

# Greeter options
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name 	debian-swirl

# Some other possible options
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_enable		true
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_text		Welcome
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons	false
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list		false

# The lower panel doesn't work with the compositor
/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager		false
Session not being saved, you think?
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Very strange. Nothing too odd in the logs though, mine look similar and mine works. The before and after, assuming you ran the update rc.d command I provided is very odd, very odd indeed. Can you post the output of that script?

/etc/init.d/gdm3

I'm not sure if it's actually called that. At a work computer right now. But "ls" in /etc/init.d will give a list of scripts started on system boot. Just for kicks, also make sure /etc/rc.d is empty and if not post contents.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

First, thanks for helping out. After running invoke-rc.d gdm3 reload as root, I get the following:

mars gdm3 # invoke-rc.d gdm3 reload
Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3.
After restarting, I get the same result - my greeter.gconf-defaults file is overwritten by the settings I posted earlier.

There is no /etc/rc.d on this system.
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Sorry, I meant post the contents of /etc/init.d/gdm3

cat /etc/init.d/gdm3
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

My fault, wasn't sure.

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          gdm3
# Should-Start:      console-screen dbus network-manager
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: GNOME Display Manager
# Description:       Debian init script for the GNOME Display Manager
### END INIT INFO
#
# Author:       Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org>
#
set -e

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/gdm3

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
  . /etc/default/locale
  export LANG LANGUAGE
fi

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

# To start gdm even if it is not the default display manager, change
# HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER to "false."
HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=true
DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE=/etc/X11/default-display-manager

gen_config() {
  if [ -d /var/lib/gdm3/.gconf.mandatory ]; then
    update-gconf-defaults \
	--source=/usr/share/gdm/greeter-config \
	--destination=/var/lib/gdm3/.gconf.mandatory \
	--no-signal \
	--only-if-changed
  fi
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        CONFIGURED_DAEMON=$(basename "$(cat $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE 2> /dev/null)")
        if grep -wqs text /proc/cmdline; then
            log_warning_msg "Not starting GNOME Display Manager; found 'text' in kernel commandline."
        elif [ -e "$DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE" ] && \
           [ "$HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER" = "true" ] && \
           [ "$CONFIGURED_DAEMON" != gdm3 ] ; then
                log_action_msg "Not starting GNOME Display Manager; it is not the default display manager"
        else
                log_daemon_msg "Starting GNOME Display Manager" "gdm3"
                gen_config
                start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/gdm3.pid \
			--background --exec $DAEMON || log_end_msg 1
                log_end_msg 0
        fi
  ;;
  stop)
        log_daemon_msg "Stopping GNOME Display Manager" "gdm3"
        set +e
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/gdm3.pid \
                --name gdm3 --retry 5
        set -e
        log_end_msg $?
  ;;
  reload)
        log_daemon_msg "Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration" "gdm3"
        set +e
        gen_config
        start-stop-daemon --stop --signal USR1 --quiet --pidfile \
                /var/run/gdm3.pid --name gdm3
        start-stop-daemon --stop --signal HUP --quiet --name gconfd-2 \
                --user Debian-gdm --oknodo
        set -e
        log_end_msg $?
  ;;
  status)
        status_of_proc -p "$PIDFILE" "$DAEMON" gdm3 && exit 0 || exit $?
  ;;
  restart|force-reload)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
  ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/gdm3 {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status}"
        exit 1
  ;;
esac

exit 0
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Ok, same as mine. It looks like it copies the files from /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config

Can you post the output of "ls -la" show in /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config

Also, the output of ls-la in /etc/init.d
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

Output of "ls -la" in /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config:

rose@mars /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config $ ls -la
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Nov 30 14:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  4096 Nov 28 10:56 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19192 Aug 11 13:40 10_upstream.entries
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   943 Nov 30 14:37 20_debian
In my case, I replaced the link 20_debian with a file containing my desired gdm3 settings, and for now it works, as stated earlier.

Output of "ls-la" in /etc/init.d:

rose@mars /etc/init.d $ ls -la
total 424
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Dec  4 21:55 .
drwxr-xr-x 135 root root 12288 Dec  7 12:11 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  2233 Jun 18 08:32 acpid
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  9651 Oct  4 14:14 alsa-utils
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1071 Nov 23  2009 atd
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  2315 Apr 23  2009 avahi-daemon
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1785 Feb 17  2010 binfmt-support
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  4637 Nov  4 16:42 bluetooth
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  2444 Jul  3 04:01 bootlogd
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1579 Jul  3 04:01 bootlogs
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1381 Jul  3 04:01 bootmisc.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  3978 Jul  3 04:01 checkfs.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 10822 Aug 10 01:50 checkroot.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  1279 Mar 28  2010 console-setup