ROOT

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod0

ROOT

Post by specmod0 »

How do i stay logged in as ROOT or what ever in the entire system? How a sever a password is a good ideal, But this is not a freaking sever, I should not have to enter a million passwords to move a file from one folder to the next, Which is imposable to do anyway since you can't login into the folder.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jeffreyC

Re: ROOT

Post by jeffreyC »

sudo su
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

specmod0 wrote:How do i stay logged in as ROOT or what ever in the entire system? How a sever a password is a good ideal, But this is not a freaking sever, I should not have to enter a million passwords to move a file from one folder to the next, Which is imposable to do anyway since you can't login into the folder.

if in a terminal the command su should do it
in nautilus right click 'open folder as administrator' should do it ... it will open up a new window with root access
you can enable the root account http://sathyasays.com/2008/05/27/enabli ... ianubuntu/
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

specmod0 wrote:How do i stay logged in as ROOT or what ever in the entire system? How a sever a password is a good ideal, But this is not a freaking sever, I should not have to enter a million passwords to move a file from one folder to the next, Which is imposable to do anyway since you can't login into the folder.
You know that even Windows default accounts don't run with complete administrator privileges by default any more? There's a good reason for that: it's probably one of the worst things you can do to your system security. If you are able to move and modify files without permission then malware is also able to and you won't have a clue until something goes wrong. You should not run as root unless you are absolutely certain about what it entails.

However, if you must do this then the link blowtorch provided has what you need.
mads

Post by mads »

You may want to refer to the other two threads you started after this one.
1. "I want to destory my system with one click" here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=60934
2. "I need to login to root acount" here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61350
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

the link did not work......

you used to be able to do it from that login window program,
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

install sux
it will keep you logged in as root
it works the same in Ubuntu & derivatives as well as Debian.
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

every 10 secs the password prompt comes up and blocks what i am doing, How do i use sux?
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

Ok, I only need a password at the login window, How do i shut off passwords from there? NO MORE PASSWORD, I only need to enter one password at the login window, No more, How do i fix this?
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

would removing sudo stop this? I need sudo gone, I don't need a password.
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

how can i make sudo stay logged in? SU does noting.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

try su
all commands in linux are case sensitive

for sux, as well as su, run it in a terminal,
$ sux
enter your root password
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

I am not talking about the console?? do you even use the desktop? whats the point of having a desktop?

Sudo comes up every 10 secs asking for a for password, everytime i click something it ask for a password? what the hell is the point of that? to keep me safe? or to drive me insane? this is something that needs to be fixed and easly shutoff, I can turn the firewall off with one click? why can't i do the same with sudo? this is stupid, Useful if your on a pubic computer or sever, but this is a desktop.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

specmod0 wrote:I am not talking about the console?? do you even use the desktop? whats the point of having a desktop?

Sudo comes up every 10 secs asking for a for password, everytime i click something it ask for a password? what the hell is the point of that? to keep me safe? or to drive me insane? this is something that needs to be fixed and easly shutoff, I can turn the firewall off with one click? why can't i do the same with sudo? this is stupid, Useful if your on a pubic computer or sever, but this is a desktop.
If it really comes up every 10 secs. as you suggest, you obviously per-missioned something wrong and you need to fix that first, or did you put the firefox store in /var or something equally weird? Judging from the amount of attitude you been throwing and carrying on in IRC one has to wonder what is really going on, and one must wonder if you actually get that to the way you want it, will come in with the same attitude blaming the community for the breakage of the OS/personal data. YOU actually need to give this some thot, or go back to windows and run as admin.

IMHO 'nuff said

P.S.

I wonder if Jason gonna stop by
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

i am trying to find the config logs so i can add root user acount. :roll:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

You have been given TWO good links that will show you how to set up root login. If you do not want to use them and solve your problem, fine. But please quit spamming our forums.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

links didn't work, or missing files,
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Return to “LMDE Archive”