[SOLVED] Mintupdate error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zole052

[SOLVED] Mintupdate error

Post by zole052 »

I had an error today when updateing mintdesktop 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 on LMDE, what's the problem?
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mintdesktop_3.2.2_all.deb: there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Mintupdate error

Post by proxima_centauri »

The mintdesktop upgrade bug is hitting LMDE
the solution is to shut mintdesktop's obsolete prerm script..

Code: Select all

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/mintdesktop.prerm && apt upgrade
OR more precisely

Code: Select all

apt update
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/mintdesktop.prerm
    apt install mintdesktop
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Mintupdate error

Post by det4100 »

Be sure to run those commands after updating, or you will get a "fix broken packages" error when you allow mintupdate to run. If you already did that and now can't get the rest of the updates to install, you can open package manager and mark the packages to update.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. The update is still running, but at about the 20% mark, it threw up the warning in the attached screenshot.
Not sure how to proceed. I've been running LMDE on an 8gb SDHC memory card for several months, and several updates, without issue.

The suggested reference page: http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/D ... yBasedBoot provides quite a bit of guidance, but I'm reluctant to start tweaking things before I understand the issues better.

Update: This error is discussed in some detail in this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=346001
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It shouldn't be a fatal error, it just means that you should keep using the old grub. I don't have the ambition to read through all that, so I can't help much with fixing the files.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Well, I decided to follow proxima_centauri's advice, made the changes, then rebooted, and checked for and applied additional updates, which finished with the following error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mintdesktop_3.2.2_all.deb: there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up

Everything seems to be working well, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Update: I ran the mintdesktop update commands again from command line, and all is well.

Return to “LMDE Archive”